Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, dangingras said:

Found this today. 

Click on the; ArcGIS Online map of all CRMC designated rights of way to the shore, link. 

Picture is worth a thousand words

http://www.crmc.ri.gov/publicaccess.html

This link shows public access locations. It does not show ROWs. If you have to pay (beach parking) or be a member of some beach club or resident of a certain neighborhood to gain access to the water, it is not a public right of way. 

Screenshot_2022-06-09-07-32-54.png

Edited by Gansettcaster
CRMC ROW definition

Yes, the rub with a lot of these places is the lack of legal public parking nearby during useful hours for fishing. Lets just say this is where "creativity" comes into play. Still, the map is useful. 

3 hours ago, Gansettcaster said:

This link shows public access locations. It does not show ROWs. If you have to pay (beach parking) or be a member of some beach club or resident of a certain neighborhood to gain access to the water, it is not a public right of way. 

Screenshot_2022-06-09-07-32-54.png

Pretty sure it shows ROWs.

It may not be perfect, but someone put a lot of time and effort into compiling this and it's the most useful thing I've seen for access. 

It does not address parking and we all know parking is used as a tool to defeat public access. Even the state does it. Honestly, I understand some of the resentment to public access. Some people treat the waterfront like a trash can and if it were happening in my back yard I'd be pissed too. 

I have always done my best to "leave no trace", whether it was a sidewalk, sports field,  hiking trail,  or fishing spot, there are those who do not.

Watch the videos, some good stuff in there. It addresses allot of your comments. I'm sure there is not going to be big fixes in short time, but it's nice to know someone is working on it. 

Thanks for posting.  
A few things I have learned about shoreline parking access over my 40 years in this battle.  
1. Don’t count on the state to provide parking in areas they don’t have jurisdiction.

2. You must have strong and involved surfcasters presence in shoreline communities and a fishing club membership that will stay ever vigilant in identifying and monitoring areas where residents want to prevent parking.  Most new “no parking” signs go up in the off season when no one is watching. 

3. When approaching community leaders/town councils about parking issues always provide “positive” arguments on why it’s a good thing to allow fishermen access.

4. Money talks.  Be ready to help fund your access.  

Dennis,

All good points. 

Specifically regarding #4, what do you mean by "help fund your access"? Do you have examples of the kinds of things that have worked? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, dangingras said:

Pretty sure it shows ROWs.

It may not be perfect, but someone put a lot of time and effort into compiling this and it's the most useful thing I've seen for access. 

It does not address parking and we all know parking is used as a tool to defeat public access. Even the state does it. Honestly, I understand some of the resentment to public access. Some people treat the waterfront like a trash can and if it were happening in my back yard I'd be pissed too. 

I have always done my best to "leave no trace", whether it was a sidewalk, sports field,  hiking trail,  or fishing spot, there are those who do not.

Watch the videos, some good stuff in there. It addresses allot of your comments. I'm sure there is not going to be big fixes in short time, but it's nice to know someone is working on it. 

You are correct. It does show ROWs.

I was looking at the map locations. The photos show them more accurately.

My mistake.   Thanks for sharing. 

43 mins ago, dangingras said:

Dennis,

All good points. 

Specifically regarding #4, what do you mean by "help fund your access"? Do you have examples of the kinds of things that have worked? 

Thanks

Some of you may  know that the Newport area has a “Fishing Vehicle Parking Permit “.  Fishermen pay a yearly fee for it and it allows them after hours parking to some areas adjacent to the Cliff Walk.  The permit system is codified as a city ordinance and can be expanded to other areas.  

4 mins ago, DZ said:

Some of you may  know that the Newport area has a “Fishing Vehicle Parking Permit “.  Fishermen pay a yearly fee for it and it allows them after hours parking to some areas adjacent to the Cliff Walk.  The permit system is codified as a city ordinance and can be expanded to other areas.  

I’ve been talking about the idea of a fishing vehicle parking permit for my town. I’ve struggled with after hours access for years.

If you mind sharing, do you know how I can start that conversation with my Town?

6 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

I’ve been talking about the idea of a fishing vehicle parking permit for my town. I’ve struggled with after hours access for years.

If you mind sharing, do you know how I can start that conversation with my Town?

I started with my city councilor when the city began to shut down parking about 30 years ago.  I was President of our local fishing club at the time and if I hadn’t stepped in to make a recommendation for it all of our nighttime parking would have been long gone.  

Great example.

Thanks

If we could only get a deposit on bait containers we could fund a parking garage. 

Posted (edited)

Fishermen are a funny breed.  Don’t like to pay for any privileges.  Especially back then when there was no saltwater license. Not all fishermen agreed with paying to park.  I told them fine, you’ll never park there again with that attitude.  I told the city fathers  that area fishermen would pay a fair fee to help fund the new parking program.  Now I use the statistics to justify how much area fishermen fund the program each year.  When you pay for a privilege… you have more clout. 
When the saltwater license program was just being discussed I was on a planning committee. Based on the success of the Newport permit system I recommended the state fishing license be a little more expensive than $7.00, more like $20.  Extra cost would fund and allow all fishing license holders free parking permits for after hours in all state parks and state fishing areas.   Committee shot my recommendation down to keep license as cheap as possible.  Again fishermen were pissed at paying even $7.  Our loss.  

Edited by DZ

Geeee, wonder if this would work on block too. No admission to black rock without special sticker. Only $ 500 per season