HopHead

Rain gear for BC hunt

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Any recs?  I've always gotten by mix and match.....don't wanna cut corners and risk sitting for days getting wet.

Haven't a clue, been years since I used waterproof clothing. I would suggest you talk to your outfitter to find out what type of weather to expect  and ask him for his opinion on waterproof gear.

Yeah not sure this is the exact same terrain but I've seen hunts where guys sit and glass for 10 days in the pouring rain. That would be a nightmare......and unforgivable with the wrong gear.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rain gear I have always just used a wading Jacket (Orvis) but that's doesn't cover the legs :)

What you hunting for?

Edited by Sandflee

I've been very happy with my U.S. Military Gortex rain gear , Vents that zip under the armpits , Large pockets , Hood that cinchs down well , Very abrasive resistant , Strong zippers . 

6 hours ago, HopHead said:

Any recs?  I've always gotten by mix and match.....don't wanna cut corners and risk sitting for days getting wet.

GoreTex coat and pants.  I'd also take a poncho as it's long and won't "hike" up when you sit.

Most of my gear is/was Cabelas.  Their Dry Plus is as good as Gore-Tex.

(I have both Dry Plus and GoreTex from them.)

You should have polypropylene underwear so it dries quickly.

All garments synthetic.  No cotton.

A good waterproof wide brim hat as well.

I'll mention that my elk hunts generally involved riding about 200 miles on horseback for each hunt.

My clothing held up great.

You do want to learn how to be proactive with layers.

When you start moving open up layers for ventilation well before you get heated.

Likewise, if it's cold, start to button up layers before you get chilled.

Yeah I've always been a layers guy....I have a cabelas dry plus coat too that's been great.....removable down jacket inside the rain parka.

i have a ECWS military Goretex top. It is very waterproof, but as heavy and stiff as a dead minister. Mine is Generation 1, and they are up to Gen 3 now. They are hard to find on the used market, but they have civilian knock-offs which may or may not be as good. I have friends with the bibs and they say they are truly waterproof.

6 hours ago, HopHead said:

Yeah not sure this is the exact same terrain but I've seen hunts where guys sit and glass for 10 days in the pouring rain. That would be a nightmare......and unforgivable with the wrong gear.

You don't strike me as the type to sit in crappy weather that long for a hunt of any kind, I sure as hell wouldn't. Sitka gear is top shelf in my opinion, I have a jacket, hat and mask (I only duck hunt now) and it keeps me warm and dry no matter how cold and wet it is out there. Good luck on your hunt Hop!

6 hours ago, jolly mon said:

I've been very happy with my U.S. Military Gortex rain gear , Vents that zip under the armpits , Large pockets , Hood that cinchs down well , Very abrasive resistant , Strong zippers . 

Agreed, they work well in foul weather and are adjustable with the outer shell and inner zip in liner for the cold. I have a couple sets of jackets and liners and a pair of the pants. They've held up well through a lot of backpacking and as you've mentioned very abrasion resistant.

I was with Sitka Gear for a while under their ''guide's program''...Back in, hmmm, around 2008-09...

I like technical clothing and I am very demanding. Sitka is hard to beat.

I still wear my original Stormfront jacket and pants (hard shell), Jetstream jacket (soft shell). Went through some other stuff... I had their Alpine Expedition pack (72 liters) that I used on solo hunts in NZ. Was not that good and I think they stopped making it.

Expensive equipment.But if you can afford it, it's well worth it.