Capefox

Folding main rod guide

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I own a Carnage II 7'6" 2-piece boat spinning rod (rated 60-80 lb, a tuna popping/stick bait). The main guide is huge and it can be a pain to get it into a travel tube with other rods. Can anyone recommend a large but strong folding main guide? 

fixed-penn-carnage-3-boat-spinning-rod-10-template_2.jpg

Edited by Capefox

I wouldnt recommend a folding guide for the stripper. On popping rods, usually the first 3 guides takes massive amounts of pressure when you hookup on a fish. A folding guide wont handle the pressures upward to 50lb drags. 10lbs ok, like on those telescopic surf rods. But not a tuna rod.

If you really want to keep the rod, slap your reel on it and check out how the line lays out on the guide train, then see if its plausible to  change it a kw-L or MN guide, without choking it to death and kill distance.

Isn't easier to bu8ild, or buy a bigger travel tube? I have no idea what you have but my travel tubes go to 6 inches.

2 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Isn't easier to bu8ild, or buy a bigger travel tube? I have no idea what you have but my travel tubes go to 6 inches.

The one I have is about 4.5. Could you suggest a larger tube?

Daiwa used to have folding stripper guides on the regal strike series.....mid eighties.

I have never had a problem with mine.

That tech is long past in todays day and age.  They were good back then but guide layouts and designs don’t require them anymore. 

Based on several people's advice and not wanting to modify a perfectly good Penn Carnage tuna popping rod, I went ahead and purchased the Plano Jumbo rod tube. It should be large enough to accommodate the gear I need on a forthcoming tuna charter: the tuna popping rod, two conventional stand-ups. and a jigging rod.