Super strike floating popper

Rate this topic

li_bass_hunter

Do these actually float? My old beat up 1 1/2oz green eyed yellow floater which has caught more bass and bluefish than any other topwater seems to be sinking slowly rather than floating. never paid attention to it until recently when I stopped the plug at my feet and watched it slowly sink

Edited by li_bass_hunter

Green eye are supposed to float. But after some abuse, water can seep in and then they'll sink. Using glue at the water entry points will lengthen it's time to remain sealed. After the lure has been flooded, you have two options. Drill a small hole, empty the water, and then reseal the hole. Or just leave it alone and let the water evaporate. That will take a long time though. Sometimes over a year.  

It must have water in it like mentioned above. 

I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Jim Morrison 

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.

Even if the floaters don’t sink after some abuse other factors come into play.

The internal weight will come loose. For me this kills the action of the plug.

The belly swivel will eventually rust and break. Normally don’t have green eyes that long to get to that point.

In all cases(water intrusion included) it’s a good indicator that it’s time to get a new one.

5 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

Never understood the point of a sinking popper, seems like an oxymoron to me but maybe I'm just not understanding 

you can use the sinking popper like a swimmer on a slow steady retrieve , the 2 3/8 sinker casts like a bomb especially if you have a real strong head wind. 

I Fish therefore I Lie

On 6/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, XBMX said:

Easy fix. Drill a entry and exit hole, blow out with compressed air, seal with round tooth pics and 5min epoxy.

Do this except inject with expanding foam  A bit of moisture inside will help the foam cure faster. Once cured seal with epoxy but you don't really need to. It will never leak again.