James m

Nautilus Reels issue - spool cap getting stuck

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue  - with both my CCF X2 and my NV-G, the spool cap (the nut that you tighten the spool to the frame with) keeps getting very stuck on and takes some serious effort/use of pliers to twist it off. I have not had this issue with any other reel so I know I am not cranking it down too tight. It just seems to happen after not getting turned for a few days. 

Any one else experience this/have an easy solution?

Mine do it as well - I’ve started putting it on what feels like very light but it stays just fine. When I forget - I gotta break out the knipex lol

13 mins ago, walpy said:

Mine do it as well - I’ve started putting it on what feels like very light but it stays just fine. When I forget - I gotta break out the knipex lol

cool good to know, thanks 

I happens with mine also - but I would never use a paor of pliers, or any other tool, to twist off.

Just use a rubberized pad or rubber glove to twistoff.

Herb

I don't view this as a huge deal. I've seen cheaper reels come disconnected, but I've never had that concern with Smith nautilus reels. When I do need to take spool off I just wrap my pliers with a bit of electrical tape.

8 hours ago, HL said:

I happens with mine also - but I would never use a paor of pliers, or any other tool, to twist off.

Just use a rubberized pad or rubber glove to twistoff.

Herb

Anybody but me still carry a leather leader straightener...wrap it with that for a good bite.

6 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Anybody but me still carry a leather leader straightener...wrap it with that for a good bite.

No but I keep a big rectangle of bike inner-tube with me...great for stuck ferrules and for my Nautilus reels (though my biggest issue is lack of room for my knuckles) 

Yes with my NV-G reels, no with my CCF X2 reels...and I can't stand it. I've resorted to using those rubberized jar opener pads to help (which helps most, but not all of the time)