Waterproof Phone Case

Rate this topic

drumfish213

I have used lifeproof cases for years and don't have many complaints besides the upfront cost. In looking for a new case I found a number of very similar cases on the river site. Has anyone used one of the knockoff cases and found it to be just as good or is this a "you get what you pay for" situation. One point that seems to be a big difference is that the lifeproof warranty seems much better so despite the upfront cost it may pay for itself in the long run when a replacement is needed. 

You definitely get what you pay for. I've got a Galaxy S20+ and LifeProof stopped making waterproof cases for them so I've resorted to buying the nameless Chinese ones from Amazon.  They leak and they open up randomly.

Get a real case if you can.

6 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

I have used the bag style that kind of rolls/clips at the top and like a little oversized is the only way I can describe it, like a ziplock bag. It works well and they are cheap and I only use it fishing, I just put it down my waders 

Was gonna ask about these.  

Any negatives?

32 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Was gonna ask about these.  

Any negatives?

It’s kinda bulky but that’s about it. They are cheap enough that if you suspect it’s Damaged just buy another. They make ones with floats inside too so your phone will float… 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

4 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I bought a case like this years ago and it works well. I put it on a retractable key holder and i can take it in the surf with me or on the boats no issue

Screenshot_20220608-024557_Chrome.jpg

I’ve used one of these for years. Only issue, I have my phone in an Otter Box case and it’s tight. Also, the clear plastic of the case is not always txt sensitive. I wear it around my neck and tucked in my waders. Always have my phone handy for a quick picture or an emergency call. 

Interesting how things have changed it used to be you would take a ride in the car to get away from the landline. The only reason I can understand for taking a phone in the water is for safety. So if your phone is out on the water I would think it a floating case is the only way to go. Wet hands and wet phones may be a recipe for disaster. Only reason to have it exposed is if your back is against the wall. A local B&T that has rental skiffs and use boat boys and they are lectured over and over about leaving their phones in the shop. Being around there occasionally I know of at least six phones on the bottom. MHO

I used to like Lifeproof, but found that theyve become largely soundproof, too--had trouble hearing people, and they had trouble hearing me.

Fishing from a boat, where I take a lot of spray but will hopefully never be completrely submerged, I just drop the phone in a couple of ziplock bags and put it in a pants pocket.  I do the same thing wading rivers.  Don't know how that would work out in the surf.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I've been using drybags like above. I had a great one that would velcro to an armband, but they sold out on Amazon never to return. I just tether them to my pfd. Last couple years I have used a Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 that I bought when my preferred device died. It requires no additional protection. I'm about to switch devices, but I'll hang onto this for basic nav and/or 911 in an emergency.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

19 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

I bought a case like this years ago and it works well. I put it on a retractable key holder and i can take it in the surf with me or on the boats no issue

Screenshot_20220608-024557_Chrome.jpg

I use a similar bag and it works great.  You can still send a text or check your phone without having to remove it from the bag. 

I went through the Lifeproof cases for a while and just had way too many problems with them. For  the cost of them, should be kinda problem free lol I lost a few due to them completely falling apart, or the speaker system gets so bad that when talking on the phone, no one can hear each other....very frustrating to have to take the phone out of the case just for a phone call. The last draw is when I dropped my phone on the shore-break when working in a fish. Water wasn't even deep, either, maybe half inch. Yet my phone got wet and wiped it out. I have since switched over to these cheap Amazon water proof cases for my 11 promax.and have yet to have a single issue. No sound issues. No leakage issues. Strong as can be. No cosmetic issues....nada. Not bad for under twenty bucks!

case.jpg.6984eb2050341e3f48a3a7567d529f86.jpg

2 mins ago, zcoker said:

I went through the Lifeproof cases for a while and just had way too many problems with them. For  the cost of them, should be kinda problem free lol I lost a few due to them completely falling apart, or the speaker system gets so bad that when talking on the phone, no one can hear each other....very frustrating to have to take the phone out of the case just for a phone call. The last draw is when I dropped my phone on the shore-break when working in a fish. Water wasn't even deep, either, maybe half inch. Yet my phone got wet and wiped it out. I have since switched over to these cheap Amazon water proof cases for my 11 promax.and have yet to have a single issue. No sound issues. No leakage issues. Strong as can be. No cosmetic issues....nada. Not bad for under twenty bucks!

case.jpg.6984eb2050341e3f48a3a7567d529f86.jpg

I’ve had the sound issues with life proof and agree, for the cost that is a big problem. Their warranty service has been really good and has helped a lot in the past. What is the brand of this case?