Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skinkyhelmet

Where and what?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have recently gotten into striper fishing. I am planning on going to the Delaware river tomorrow morning aroung Scudders Falls in NJ. I have a surf rod and reel and 25 lb. test and am planning on using bloodworms or herring as bait. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to go, what other bait to use, or the most effective way to hook the herring? Thank you for the help.

Gentlemen, there's gonna be a lotta new people coming to the site in the near future - the vast majority of them don't know anything about the custom of introducing themselves here with a joke smile.gif

Ain't nothing wrong with letting them know, but if we could, lets try to:

1. Answer their question.

2. Welcome them aboard.

3. Then let them know it's customary to introduce yourself here with a joke when yah first sign up smile.gif

I'll go first wink.gif

Skinkyhelmet (interesting...we'll get to that later wink.gif ) - I'm unfamiliar with the Skudder's Falls area, but I'd guess the bass there are going to be more interested in live herring than bloodworms at the moment. The water is warming up quickly in the river and every living thing with a mouth is gonna eat your $8/dozen bloodworms before the stripers likely even smell it wink.gif Live herring will eliminate most of the non-striped critters, but you may get mauled by a musky or enormous largemouth or smallmouth...which isn't entirely bad.

As to how to hook them - if they are live and you are letting them swim - hook them about 1" in front of the dorsal fin about 1/4" deep. If they are dead and you are chunking them, hook the chunk through the thick part of the chunk, making sure you go through skin when the hook enter and exits - the skin is tougher than the meat and will help with casting.

Welcome aboard!

As you may have guessed, it's customary to introduce yourself with a joke if you feel so inclined smile.gif

TimS

And why might that be?

Lookee Walt wanting me to publicly spill my guts with my whole game plan smile.gifwink.gif

Why might that be? I guess cause people are realizing with nearly 1,000,000 posts on these forums and the very active membership here that they'll get their questions answered? Maybe they come to read your post Walt? wink.gif

Now answer the new guy's question so as to not hijack his first thread please HappyWave.gif

TimS