Hookedup2640

Delaware Public Beach Theft

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To all DE surf Tag holders. I am making you aware that the York Beach Park, where it's Northern border stops at South Bethany Beach, has been stolen from public use by a contingent of South Bethany beach, homeowners. It's the area of beach is where the volleyball net is usually placed. These people have for years posted unofficial signs that read "Authorized Vehicles Only" They have illegally removed official Delaware State signs that define the Park boundary, not only years ago, but just recently when DNR posted Official signs to define the park boundary.

This is currently under police investigation. The area of beach I am speaking of is extensive. The illegal annexation of our public beach should not be taken lightly. I am encouraging all DE, Surf Tags Holders, to show solidarity in reclaiming our rightfully owned beach. Please consider flooding this area with your vehicles by informing others of this situation and forming groups to protest. York beach park starts approximately 15 feet South of the first ocean front home.   

I encourage all of you to contact DNR regarding this. I hope LE will find those responsible for illegally removing the newly erected signs and place the most severe criminal charges on their arrogant verminous hand parts. I should add that this group has in years past overtaken over 200 yards of State Park Land, as they posted the Authorized Vehicle Only sign, as a deterrent for Tag holders to the rightful use of our public park beach. 

Edited by Hookedup2640

I fish there often ...where is the line of demarcation ? can you take a few pics ? I'm not surprised by this -we are always getting beach access stolen...like the bottom end of Gordon's pond by the jetty...I won't mention who was behind that move , but it's their month this month ...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hot tuna said:

I fish there often ...where is the line of demarcation ? can you take a few pics ? I'm not surprised by this -we are always getting beach access stolen...like the bottom end of Gordon's pond by the jetty...I won't mention who was behind that move , but it's their month this month ...

The line of demarcation is approximately 15 to 20 feet South of the very first S. Bethany, ocean front home. I have resided here for over 20 years and have fished that beach for over 40 years. The same group or click, are always using that part of the beach, as if it were their own property. They are obnoxious at times arrogant always and disgusting in their illegal take over of public beach. I wish I could get a couple hundred vehicles, side by side in that area before the bastards wake up, that is once the season actually starts when most schools are on summer break. I cannot, anytime soon, send photos. The home is easy to spot, it is once again, the first home you see when traveling North on York Beach. Catch em Up, take back our Beaches!

Edited by Hookedup2640

21 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I wish I could get a couple hundred vehicles, side by side in that area before the bastards wake up,

21 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I wish I could get a couple hundred vehicles, side by side in that area before the bastards wake up,

Sign Me up !!!

Is this the same group that's been trying for years to take over Fenwick Island?

Just now, DerrickT said:

Is this the same group that's been trying for years to take over Fenwick Island?

No those people are at the South end near Kings Grant.

Correct, the group to the South has tried legal means to get what they desire as they oppose vehicles on the park land fronting their homes and rental properties. The ones to the North have resorted to criminal activity by removing official State signs that defined the park boundary line. 

Hate to hear stuff like this.  Total BS.  

I'm always interested in how the public trust doctrine applies to situations like this in different areas.  No idea about DE laws on that.  I researced Va laws quite a bit when Nature conservancy said they had ownership of below hight tide line on barrier islands....they cant own the beach.  Its a public trust basically.    Beach and any wet sand are all of ours to access, not private beaches favoring a few homeowners or others.  Not theirs to take.  Good luck.

Good thing the police are involved now. Hopefully the signs stay up this time. Maybe also make sure the local community knows about this too since I’m sure a lot of other people and not just fishermen would want to use the beach and maybe this will help make sure the beach stays open and accessible. 

Posted (edited)

next time I go over the summer -I'm gonna park up that end .. blast 80's punk rock tunes all day on my beat box...and take lots of pisses .....leave my stinky old bait on the sand when I leave ...Let's see how they like that ...

after 8 hrs of hearing this they'd get the message : The Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K (official video) - YouTube

Edited by hot tuna

5 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

Good thing the police are involved now. Hopefully the signs stay up this time. Maybe also make sure the local community knows about this too since I’m sure a lot of other people and not just fishermen would want to use the beach and maybe this will help make sure the beach stays open and accessible. 

I am waiting to see what action DNR takes to replace the signage and hopefully make arrests for removing the signs. Word is getting around about this as I have made our local Surf fishing clubs aware.  Here in Lower Slower DE, this caper would be very news worthy. 

1 hour ago, hot tuna said:

next time I go over the summer -I'm gonna park up that end .. blast 80's punk rock tunes all day on my beat box...and take lots of pisses .....leave my stinky old bait on the sand when I leave ...Let's see how they like that ...

after 8 hrs of hearing this they'd get the message : The Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The U.K (official video) - YouTube

Be warned my friend, these people are organized against trucks in that area. They will move in all around you, harass you, and be general pain in the ass's. I recommend bringing along a good size group of friends and basically loading that area with trucks. Please do not leave stinky bait on the beach. We should all strive to be good stewards of our beaches. I do however like the loud music idea.

6 hours ago, d-man said:

Hate to hear stuff like this.  Total BS.  

I'm always interested in how the public trust doctrine applies to situations like this in different areas.  No idea about DE laws on that.  I researced Va laws quite a bit when Nature conservancy said they had ownership of below hight tide line on barrier islands....they cant own the beach.  Its a public trust basically.    Beach and any wet sand are all of ours to access, not private beaches favoring a few homeowners or others.  Not theirs to take.  Good luck.

It's Delaware State Park land. This B.S. started around 10 years ago when these people placed "Authorized Vehicles Only" signs well within the park and most seriously removed the state owned signs that defined the  park's boundary. Complaints about this were made to the then Fenwick Island Park superintendent. Nothing was done to take down the sign they erected and until just recently the boundary and other official signs had not been replaced. These people obviously had, back in time more political influence to get their way. Things have changed as  the current Superintendent arranged to replace the signs. As you are aware the newly placed Official signs were once again stolen I hope DNR has money remaining in the current budget to replace the official signs.

My entire life I have vacationed at that beach with my family. We used to play in the tide pools that formed under the last house to the south and release dogfish and weakfish in them to watch them swim around (we were kids) then throw them back into the ocean.  

if/when they install new signs, put a trail camera up somewhere. Can’t recall if there is a good place to do it though. Might not take long to catch them.