Goldy

Part of the Plan to save striped bass - Ban Trolling..

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

We can only ban trolling if we have another place to send them. We assume you will share your spots with them and be a good Shepard? 

12 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Nothing against trolling, but if I don’t have to troll, I won’t. Every time I have tried to troll over the past two years I have fallen asleep. I tried three times. I just find it incredibly boring. I would much rather jig or cast. I like to fish with my hands on my rod at all times unless I’m chunking for drum or something like that. Maybe if it’s offshore trolling I can stay awake. But inshore/nearshore and freshwater trolling forces my eyelids shut. 

I always found trolling to be an interesting way to fish.  Instead of just having a rod in your hand, the entire boat becomes a tool.  You're constantly playing with the depth contours, to keep the lures in the right zone, close enough to the bottom to attract fish, but not touching down to snag or pick up weed.  You're playing the throttles to adjust for current and wind.  You watch the rod tips to adjust boat speed to the action of the lures.  You make turns to speed up and raise the outside lure, while slowing and dropping the lure on the inside of the turn, and see whether either one draws a strike.

Not at all as simple as some make it out to be, although I suppose if you're merely a winder, not running the boat, it can be a bit dead.

12 mins ago, CWitek said:

I always found trolling to be an interesting way to fish.  Instead of just having a rod in your hand, the entire boat becomes a tool.  You're constantly playing with the depth contours, to keep the lures in the right zone, close enough to the bottom to attract fish, but not touching down to snag or pick up weed.  You're playing the throttles to adjust for current and wind.  You watch the rod tips to adjust boat speed to the action of the lures.  You make turns to speed up and raise the outside lure, while slowing and dropping the lure on the inside of the turn, and see whether either one draws a strike.

Not at all as simple as some make it out to be, although I suppose if you're merely a winder, not running the boat, it can be a bit dead.

The guys that think trolling is boring never spent any time WORKING a pit… cause if you’ve done it you know it’s work , I’d like to see em try and get out an 8 rod spread without tying lines in knots that look like pretzels, setting a spread that doesn’t tangle in a turn and can clear and reset lines run from triple rigged riggers. There’s not a whole lot mor satisfying than having every rod in the spread go bendo and the chaos that ensues.

There is a lot more to trolling multiple lines well than most people realize.  Throw in outriggers and you may have seven lines out at once. Not an easy task and far from boring. If you fish for tuna and marlin that is how its done in the canyons. A nice day on the boat with good company and attractive scenery is far from boring. To me surfcasting is boring. 

32 mins ago, CWitek said:

Its doubtful 90% the trolling fleet of raritan bay(and im guessing elsewhere) know the nuances you're describing.  Just like any form of fishing there are guys who have it down to a science.  I'm sure OP is mostly moaning about the zombie hoard of mindless boaters of the bay that just flock to signs of other boats and drive in circles without a care in the world for the others around them.  From a purely selfish view, it would be amazing if the trollers weren't there, but who am I to tell someone what they can and cant do.

Trolling in the summer time in the Chesapeake makes me laugh though. Yeah bro let's troll 16oz mojos to catch 20" fish. You're fighting the weight of the lure rather than the fish. 

offshore trolling and trolling during the spring and fall is different though. 

19 mins ago, bigfish4me said:

The guys that think trolling is boring never spent any time WORKING a pit… cause if you’ve done it you know it’s work , I’d like to see em try and get out an 8 rod spread without tying lines in knots that look like pretzels, setting a spread that doesn’t tangle in a turn and can clear and reset lines run from triple rigged riggers. There’s not a whole lot mor satisfying than having every rod in the spread go bendo and the chaos that ensues.

Offshore, I pull 10 off my 31" Ocean Master--triple-rigged outriggers, two off the center, two flats.  

Things can get exciting.  

9 hours ago, waltw said:

You should be the czar of the striped bass fishery, you can tell people how to fish, where to fish, when to fish and what tackle to  use. You could also monitor their head lamp usage and drag settings. Of course as the czar feel free to add anything else you feel will help the bass 

Walt for emperor!  

How could I forget drag settings and if I may be so bold, a mandatory gear check in prior to fishing.  We don't want these sea kittens to be tired out on gear that is too light, there oughta be a law!

Ehhh don't really see how trolling is fun anyway. Is this even fishing? Def ban it, along with commercial fishing for stripers. 

I don’t think this is a good idea, or even a good thread at all. People fish the way they want and know how to fish. Banning trolling is simply not even in the cards at all, why even bother making this post or getting worked up about it. 

47 mins ago, Tom T said:

Walt for emperor!  

How could I forget drag settings and if I may be so bold, a mandatory gear check in prior to fishing.  We don't want these sea kittens to be tired out on gear that is too light, there oughta be a law!

I'm going to tighten down on the drag and let him go. This thread had some good Mojo though ... :beers:

George Clooney Falling GIF

Posted (edited)

32 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

I don’t think this is a good idea, or even a good thread at all. People fish the way they want and know how to fish. Banning trolling is simply not even in the cards at all, why even bother making this post or getting worked up about it. 

I understand OP's frustration.  Trolling is one of those techniques that can screw up a bite for everyone else, it doesn't take many unskilled captains to make it annoying, and then realize the fact that its not a few, its a lot of them. 

500 boats in a quarter mile in 15 feet of water with engines running "they got lockjaw today!".

That being said the answer is to just avoid fishing weekends/chasing reports/joining the fleet.

Edit: add to that im pretty sure OP just likes to stir the pot.

Edited by bbfish

1 hour ago, bigfish4me said:

Still boring. :)