Recommendations for long sleeve sun shirts

Rate this topic

mrsinbad

I've tried many and my preferred shirts are the columbia pfg shirts. Slightly heavier than others but they do a great job keeping the sun off. I would fish 6-8 hrs in the Hawaii sun on my boat and would not feel any sort of sun penetration.

I buy them when they have sales. Some are on sale right now for $25-30

1 hour ago, Kidfo said:

Not Shirt related, but skin related.......in addition to a sun shirt, I picked up some Columbia arm sleeves and slap them onto my legs.  They cover half my foot and go up to the knee.  I find them cooler than full leg coverings as you can get some air and just expose from the bottom of your shorts to your knee.  

Not a bad idea.  The sun has a bad habit of destroying my knees down when I am in the yak.  Just ordered some Simms ultralight wading pants, which should help.

Only patagonia for me..sustainable,made with all recycled materials,..and u can trade in your worn gear for store credit..most of these other brands are crap ..all things patagonia..surf tops,sun shirts,shorts etc...and they stand by all their products,great customer service and plenty of brick and mortar stores 

Edited by m12d78

On 6/6/2022 at 9:47 AM, saltfisherman said:

A flannel shirt gives you 100% spf. Any shirts ability to block the sun is based off weave. 

Jeans are spf proof too. 

you’d be looking for light weight first for hot climates and then spf protection added. 

Jeans and flannel are great choices for the center console in august

sims

Edited by wasy
Kill em and Grill em!

Two years ago in early July, floating the Clark Fork River with #2 son and guide. At 1pm blue bird skies, blazing sun, temps just over 90*. Son wearing a sun hoodie, me in SIMMS shirt. Clouds on horizon, guide says "How are you guys fixed for rain gear?" Of course, being me, I had jackets and rain pants, with light fleece, for both of us - "Good, put them on, and anything warm under, we have weather coming". 

Ten minutes later the temp drops 20+ degrees and the wind picks up. Then hail the size of marbles dumps on us for ten minutes with rain before, during and after. Windchill with gusts at 20mph was likely down around 50*. We just sat there and laughed, and I took some photos and video.

Twenty minutes later the clouds moved on, the sun came out and the temps rose a bit. 

Point is, sun shirts were great, but without that other gear, we would have been miserable during and afterward. When out on a drift boat with nowhere to hide or shelter, it comes down to what is in your kit bag. 

And then the guide says, "Well, that's Montana for you, don't like the weather, wait a bit, it will change."

ETA: And the drop in temp led to a mayfly hatch, the first of the trip, and the cutties went nuts for dry flies. Not epic, but very good fishing for the next hour and a welcome respite after 2+ days of hopper/dropper. 

Edited by flyangler

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

like most things, you get what you pay for. if you care enough to wear something more than a tshirt, dont skimp. of course it will get stained, its a fishing shirt. i work on the water and am in the sun every day its out. i like columbia and patagonia. 

This thread inspired me to order two new Simms sun hoodies.  Both on sale of course.  Been trying to get more neutral or camo colors to use when fly fishing crystal clear rivers for trout. Want to blend into the treed background.

Not because I was looking, just me following a link to another link, I found this. Point is, if a firm like Patagonia cannot know if its sun shirt SPF factors are accurate, who can? 

03B06BFD-F224-4C00-8275-5C9DD0E5D870.jpeg.0aed474813647955e0f54870842f715c.jpeg

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

AFTCO no question... they have a ton of options up to SPF 50 .. IMO for long summer days if you are concerned with buying a shirt for sun protection in the first place why get 30s... that's only a little more protection than a plain old shirt vs. 50 which is a specialized tool/level of protection.

They rebrand their sun shirts/hoodies a lot but if you look at the material % there are typically only minor changes in the blend.. Elastane and spandex are essentially the same thing to the wearer... the Yurei aeromesh with integrated mask is an awesome option..

In the clearance tab they almost always have some sun shirt styles going for cheap.