mrsinbad

Recommendations for long sleeve sun shirts

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

The flannel shirt made me think about people who work in the sun. Yesterday saw guys working on a roof long pants and hoodies. Same deal with the guys who cut my neighbors lawns hoodies hats they look so dam hot. It was explained to me that the clothes capture the sweat and keep them cooler. Anybody d here do this :shrug:.

All of the landscapers who service our community do that, which I don't understand. The physiological reason for sweating is so the skin can cool off due to evaporation. Trapping all that sweat inside seems to run counter to evolution's plan. 

Edited by flyangler

41 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

The flannel shirt made me think about people who work in the sun. Yesterday saw guys working on a roof long pants and hoodies. Same deal with the guys who cut my neighbors lawns hoodies hats they look so dam hot. It was explained to me that the clothes capture the sweat and keep them cooler. Anybody d here do this :shrug:.

Roofers, and landscapers are always covered up. It could be 90* and 80+ humidity levels they are covered up. 

Even for ourselves in standard construction we get covered up. From hardhats, gloves, long pants and I’ll wear short sleeves with a spf breathable sun sleeves. 

The sun will tear you up quickly. Skin cancer is a big concern. 

2 hours ago, flyangler said:

hahahahahaha

As I said, I had to do some research to support the father in law after one removal too many. He ultimately succumbed to old person's leukemia due to his construction career. I inherited a couple of shirts my wife bought for him back then, I still wear them. 

That’s a shame. Cancer is a nasty thing.  Had a family member who died from glioblastoma. Died two months after diagnoses. It was just terrible.

At least you’re able to put his shirts to good use. 

34 mins ago, flyangler said:

All of the landscapers who service our community do that, which I don't understand. The physiological reason for sweating is so the skin can cool off due to evaporation. Trapping all that sweat inside seems to run counter to evolution's plan. 

I think it has to do with the areas they work. Close to fire ants. Plus the hours they spend in the sun, their own family uses umbrellas for sun cover when walking. 

I'm a big of Simms and Columbia fishing hoodies. Not cheap but they are warm when I need it, cool when I need em, and wick moisture like nothing.

I usually am budget or bust.  Moving down to SWFL 4 years ago, damn do you need the sun protection lol!

I shop in Bealls outlets and find all sorts of cheap goodies.  The shirts I have been impressed with are by Silverbait.  Long sleeve, nice hood and built in buff with vented mouth area.  I usually get em from $18 - $24. Plus they have Guy Harvey stuff and Columbia on occasion.  Lots of brands out there.

20220606_205628.jpg

2 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

Roofers, and landscapers are always covered up. It could be 90* and 80+ humidity levels they are covered up. 

Even for ourselves in standard construction we get covered up. From hardhats, gloves, long pants and I’ll wear short sleeves with a spf breathable sun sleeves. 

The sun will tear you up quickly. Skin cancer is a big concern. 

Better than dealing with the chemicals and expense of sun block.

Best casting shirts i ever owned were the Orvis Indian River shirts. Comfortable is an understatement. I think the fabric equivalent now might be their River Guide series.

14 hours ago, flyangler said:

I have three of these, cannot recommend them highly enough. first one was a corporate giveaway at an event, the next two I bought with my own money. 

SIMMS GUIDE LS SHIRT - MARL

I use this brand, expensive but good quality, they do the job on the long term.

Columbia and Orvis make very good ones I have one from Exofficio that looks like it might outlive me. I don’t know if they still make them. 

Simms Solar Flex shirts are the most comfortable I've found in really hot weather. They do a great job of keeping you cool. I've tried Columbia, Orvis, Aftco, all the big names. The Simms is what I go to consistently. I think I have 6 of them now. 

PFG button ups are my favorite.

SPF ratings on shirts all seem like crap to me, I'll burn up like a lobster with no shirt but never been burnt through any clothing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like the Columbia PFG Sun Hoodies.

Just picked up a couple more for about $30.00 each. 

I like wearing them in the winter as well when I just need a light hood while fishing.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

18 hours ago, beatonem said:

I usually am budget or bust.  Moving down to SWFL 4 years ago, damn do you need the sun protection lol!

I shop in Bealls outlets and find all sorts of cheap goodies.  The shirts I have been impressed with are by Silverbait.  Long sleeve, nice hood and built in buff with vented mouth area.  I usually get em from $18 - $24. Plus they have Guy Harvey stuff and Columbia on occasion.  Lots of brands out there.

20220606_205628.jpg

This!!!

Bealls is a department store in Florida. They feature Reel Legend brand fishing clothes. They have Columbia and others. The Reel legend shirts are inexpensive. I like buffs so I don’t get hoodies. Some of the knit ones are 12 years old. They have some pulls and a few stains but they have a lot of Mojo so I wear them instead of the newer ones. They never really wear out.

I can’t believe it took 3 pages of replies to get Bealls and Reel Legend mentioned.