mrsinbad

Recommendations for long sleeve sun shirts

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

So I’m thinking about what I wanna ask for Father’s Day and I was looking for some recommendations for long sleeve sun shirts.  

* what brands

* where to get them

* should I get one with or without hoodie

* SPF 30 or higher

* thumb hole = no gloves?

* not too expensive

* anything else I missed?

thanks for the help

I have same questions.  Somebody mentioned Walmart a while ago.  I'm going to check them out this week.

AFTCO Samurai hoodie works really well for me. I have like five of them and you can usually find old colors or whatnot on sale places. Personally, I much prefer a hood on a sun shirt. It’s surprising how much putting the hood up can cool me down after I’ve been standing in the sun for a while. 

I must have 10 or more of these "fishing shirts" from sams club that I've collected over the years.  I think they're like $15. I like them. If they get ruined they're easy to replace.

I get the cheapest I can get away with because they all get nasty and stains do not come out. Normally I get them off Amazon.

I did the Brand name shirt for 70 dollars thing, not worth it. Cheaper SPF shirts allow me to not give a hoot about blood, guts, slime, or anything else getting on it during a trip.

I have the Bimini Bay L/S I get from a local B&T. Two negatives as they are warm (but I'm not getting sun burned) and the decals of whatever fish on the back absorb the sun rays and get hot. I wear a straw hat and Huk finger less gloves where I go wrong is not drinking enough water. A charter captain in the area wheres white long sleeve shirts and really doesn't get them cruddy. I look in thrift shops for similar on occasion but not much luck seems they might be a little cooler.

I have an AFTCO Yurei hoodie that my wife gave me for Christmas. So far I like it - the built-in face mask is nice and stays up well for me. It's very comfortable and stays nice and cool in the sun. The only issue I have is with the hood - it 's good when there is little wind or you're sitting on a spot, but if the wind picks up or you're motoring to another area in a boat it blows off easily because it's very loose and there's no way to tighten it. I might try a small clip to secure it to my hat. It claims to have a 3m stain protectant but I haven't had to test that yet. 

10 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

I have same questions.  Somebody mentioned Walmart a while ago.  I'm going to check them out this week.

I got a few as father's day gifts .short sleeves though. I have a Guy Harvey from a show,and a Daivd Dunlevy long sleeve from on line plus a Huk long sleeve. From a tackle shop. none with hoods . I bought my wife one from Bass Pro saltwater which she likes. 

A flannel shirt gives you 100% spf. Any shirts ability to block the sun is based off weave. 

Jeans are spf proof too. 

you’d be looking for light weight first for hot climates and then spf protection added. 

A few thoughts on SPF based on doing some research for my father in law after he had his third "thing" removed by the dermatologist. 

First, there is NO standard for measuring SPF to which most shirts are tested. There are labs that can conduct tests and you might see claims about such on higher end shirts but there is no FDA of sun shirt testing. Yes, it is about the tightness of the weave, but also whether that supposed SPF level holds if the shirt gets wet by sweat or splash and is clinging to your skin. If it clings, sun can hit it at a more distinct angle than if the shirt is loose and billowing. 

Second, if you can hold a single layer of the material up to a light in a store, pull it slight and "see the light" through it, that SPF rating might be suspect. A good tight weave should not show any light leakage. 

Third, buying such shirts a box stores is like buying cheap polarized glasses in the same place, you get what you pay for vis-a-vis SPF. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but claims of 30 SPF are everywhere and how do you know if accurate? Who made the claim, the shirt manufacturer in China? The company that sells the raw fabric? Has it ever been tested?

Fourth, handle a high quality sun shirt and then compare that to the box store brand. Sure, 2-3X or more price difference but you can feel it in your hand. I recently handled an Orvis sun shirts that they claim are 50 SPF and it was thicker and tighter than box store items. Is that the 50 vs 30 difference, or is that a quality of material difference?

Finally, you should understand what SPF really means. It has been a while since I have read up on this but I believe that one SPF is the time it takes for a person of average complexion to start to "burn", measured as 15 minutes IIRC. So 4 SPF Coppertone (who is old enough to recall the dog pulling down the little girl's suit?) was worth an hour. SPF 40 is allegedly ten hours, etc. But that is only if you have "average" skin tone. People with more fair complexion (Irish, Scandies, Japanese) are much more sensitive to burning making their one SPF time equivalent shorter. 

So SPF 30, whether liquid sunscreen or shirt material, is theoretically worth 7.5 hours of protection before you start turning red. With liquid sunscreen, the real-world value is far less due to sweat, friction, swimming, etc. which is why the instructions tell you to reapply after swimming or exertion. It is also why we have "sports" versions that are thicker and SPFs all the way up to 100, which is silly. 

But what about shirts? If you are like my wife's Irish family, your sensitivity is about tripled what it is for my Greek family. They have a history of minor skin cancers yet there is not one case in my family. So that 30 SPF shirt may or may not give you 7 hours of protection, depending on your genes and skin type. 

Nothing wrong with buying cheap sun shirts, I have a dozen or more. And yes, they are "disposable" just as soon as you get enough bluefish blood ingrained in them. But if you are the fair type, you may want to consider applying a liquid sunscreen a half hour before putting on the shirt, doubling up protection. Or seeking out 50 SPF shirts, even if a little more expensive. 

FWIW, personally, I rarely wear pullover sun shirts (hooded or not) when I am actually out fishing. I prefer button up shirts with actual collars and long sleeves. I have found the weave on those to be superior to pullovers and the collar protects the back of your next. They also dry quicker than do skin-tight alternatives. I also like chest pockets to hold my phone (used as a camera) and sunglass cleaners. I also wear a buff around my neck to provide further neck coverage and to pull it up if I need to cover ears. 

YMMV but that's my $0.02. 

BTW, as a public service message, if you have a family history of skin issues or just have fair skin, don't screw around with the sun. Skin cancer is a cumulative process and our "tanning" habits of our teens come back to haunt us decades later. Back in the mid-late 70s, Coppertone SPF 4 was for wimps and "real" sunbathers used oil. In hindsight, that oil was there just to keep your skin from looking like leather. My wife had a deep one removed from her shoulder, left quite the scar but they got it all. Her parents probably had a half dozen removals over the years. Her cousin ignored something on his inner thigh and when finally diagnosed, the removal included a far bit of muscle. Get a skin exam if you never have. Make sure they check your scalp too. 

End of the lecture. 

13 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

I love the Huk long sleeves with the hood built in, they are a little pricey though.  I've only got two of them but I love them!

good fabric.