fishoninct

Black Sea bass 2022

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Been out 3 times and have done ok at best. Fishing Middle ground and mostly seeing 14” fish. 
Any  recommendations for finding keepers would be appreciated. Have boat and will travel. 

14 hours ago, fishoninct said:

Been out 3 times and have done ok at best. Fishing Middle ground and mostly seeing 14” fish. 
Any  recommendations for finding keepers would be appreciated. Have boat and will travel. 

I haven’t been out yet. Hopefully soon. Are you catching many that would have been a keeper last year? This new 16” size limit is going to be tough. 

9 hours ago, z-man said:

I haven’t been out yet. Hopefully soon. Are you catching many that would have been a keeper last year? This new 16” size limit is going to be tough. 

A few were over 15 but not 16. I will be trying again over the weekend. 

Middle ground was choppy to say the least. Had the place to ourselves.  Found lots of shorts. Released at least 3 that were over 15 but not 16”. Got one keeper and 4 big scup. Brining a up for smoker.  Most fish 25-40 fow. Deeper areas didn’t produce well and were very hard to fish as the tide was running hard yesterday. 

I do not consider naming middle ground as spot burning since it is huge, well known, and requires a boat.  I hope to head back there on Tuesday. 

34 mins ago, Mark L said:

I saw a nice sea bass fly by this am latched to the talons of a ospreys. Catch zero chance of release lol

Always a cool sight!

I fish the Cape area not CT but this year I've done much better in deeper what.  I normally fish 20 - 30' but we've had our best day in 50 - 60'

On 6/19/2022 at 9:39 AM, fishoninct said:

I do not consider naming middle ground as spot burning since it is huge, well known, and requires a boat.  I hope to head back there on Tuesday. 

I do agree with you. It is a known commodity and huge. I was not suggesting that. Apologies if that was the implication taken. Shared some info with you on DM.

38 mins ago, Dr. Billvis said:

I do agree with you. It is a known commodity and huge. I was not suggesting that. Apologies if that was the implication taken. Shared some info with you on DM.

I wasn’t throwing the spot burn comment at you. Thanks for sending the DM.