Glasses - how on earth are you keeping yours clean!

Rate this topic

pressphotog

On 6/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, pressphotog said:

Regardless if I am using my eye glasses or sunglasses down near the water I struggle keeping them clean.  And god forbid if they do get so dirty that I must try and clean them I get a haze that never goes away until I get back to the car.   What I'm doing pretty much renders everything useless.  

I've tried sprays, wipes, putting cleaning cloths in zip locks so everything stays dry and my process still sucks.   I've hear people suggest rain-x but as a photographer and user of coated lenses this sounds like an awful idea.  

I need ideas - what are you doing that I'm not?

Alcohol wipes. Give them a try.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:27 PM, Sam3631 said:

Regarding cleaning, I searched through videos about a month ago and found a few people, including opticians, who recommended warm water rinse and a soak in Dawn dish soap and water.

I bought Maui Jim's about a year ago, my first good pair of glass sunglasses.  I used the sunglass hut spray and cloth but it wasn't working so well anymore.  Now, I run them under warm water and use my bare hands to rub the glass under warm running water for a few seconds.  Then I put them in a bowl of warm water mixed with dawn for anywhere from 5-20 minutes.  Take them out of bowl, rinse again in warm water and dry with a microfiber towel from the auto parts store.  This works better than the spray from sunglass hut.  
Granted, I can't do this while away from home, but regular water and a cloth work pretty well when Dawn isn't handy.

This is what I do. wet your lenses first then warm water and mild dish soap then dry with a microfiber cloth. I try to stay away from Dawn for glasses. It is a staple in our kitchen though. I have 4 pairs of Maui Jims each one with different lenses for light conditions. All that spray crap they sell for glasses has alcohol. Every post here with people saying try these wipes contains alcohol. I carry a bottle of water with a small microfiber towel when I'm on the beach.Stay away from those pre moistened wipes.   .     

If you get a splash to the glasses, I blow the water drops to the sides and that itself cleans it off. I do it right after before the water drops have dried at all. If you are talking salt spray from wind, then all bets are off. You can’t do much about that. 

general cleaning, some spray and a cloth for glasses like this one

image.jpg

Since I wear my sun glasses over my glasses,  I make sure my regular glasses are clean before I put the my Cocoons over them.  I think I've used most of the methods already mentioned.  I usually carry of small body of either water or window cleaner with me and whenever I get a new pair of regular glasses there's usually a piece of soft cloth in the case for cleaning them.  I try to remember to tuck one of them in my fishing vest, but don't always remember.  I'll use my handkerchief or a clean part of the the t-shirt or the shirt I'm wearing.  I'm not OCD about scratches, since the lenses on the Cocoons aren't glass they do get some miniscule scratches on them, but not enough to annoy me.  If after a couple of years they get to the point they annoy me, they're cheap enough I just replace them.