Fergal

Scott Sector 10wt

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

On 05/06/2022 at 0:06 AM, numbskull said:

Had a Sector 8wt before it went swimming during a moment of albie madness, never to be seen again. 
Impressive rod.  Easy to cast well and very fun to fish.  Loved the grip shape, too. 

Would love to hear the backstory to this. I'm glad this sort of stuff happens to other people too :)

Posted (edited)

Bumping this up. I picked up a 9wt Sector. I 'needed' another 4pc 9', lol.

I tried the Sector, Sextant, and Sage R8 core (or whatever the eff they call it). I thought I would walk away with the Sextant but the Sector was nicer in my hands. They were both very close tho. The Sage was nice too, if I wanted a 10wt unfortunately that is..... 

Both Scott & T&T use quality components - Rec snakes, high quality strippers. Sage, not so much... Cork was comparable across all three. With Scott getting a slight edge. Fit & finish; T&T was by far the best, Scott was ok, Sage, again, not so much. I don't generally pay too much attention to reel seat but Sage - WTF?

I could have tried other rods but I was very happy with the Scott. I went thru all three of them with The Angling Company's 9wt and a Rio Flats Pro (Uber Awesome Ultimate SlickKast No Stretch Pro Line...). Both lines were 9wts. I do not know the specs on the TAC but the Rio has a 50' head that weighs 280 & 400 (aftma & total head respectively, more like a 10 but whatever....). The TAC line is 'supposed' to be true or slightly above. FWIW, I have them(TAC) in 9-10-11 and the all work on any rod of that wt respectively. The Scott threw the TAC like a laser, completely effortless. It handled the Rio well enough. The Sextant was slightly light on the TAC but handled the Rio a little better. The Sage, sucked on the TAC. I could throw it well but too much effort. It did better with the Rio but not as good as the T&T. All said & done, I liked the Scott. 

Long ago I was a pretty much a Sage only guy. I had some loomis, T&T and others along the way but always came back to Sage. Lately, T&T and Scott (I never would have considered a Scott years ago) seem to have much nicer products. YMMV

Edited by Drew C.

I'm adding a little more after messing around with both the 9 & 10s today. Both rods are pretty much similar except in their line wt. The 10 handles my 10wt TAC very well and does equally as well with a Rio Flats Pro but in a '9wt'. The thing is that Rio doesn't seem to know how to label their lines, it's labeled as a 9wt line but weighs 280 grains @ 30' and 400 for the 50' head. 280 happens to be the Aftma spec for a 10wt line. So, again, that rods handles a true 10 reel or Rio's mislabeled '9wt'. 

The Scott 9 again is great with the TAC 9wt line but I'd say slightly better on the Rio Flats Pro '8wt', which is also mislabeled. The Rio 8wt line is 240 grains @ 30' which is again spot on to the Aftma 9wt standard. It's 335 for the 49' head. So yea again, this rod handles a true 9 or Rio's wrongly labeled '8wt'.

I don't know the head length on the TACs but it's probably closer to 40' in length. I'm pretty comfortable either way with both rods at this point, and that better be the case because for the time being the TACs are no longer available and may not be in the future.

53 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I'm adding a little more after messing around with both the 9 & 10s today. Both rods are pretty much similar except in their line wt. The 10 handles my 10wt TAC very well and does equally as well with a Rio Flats Pro but in a '9wt'. The thing is that Rio doesn't seem to know how to label their lines, it's labeled as a 9wt line but weighs 280 grains @ 30' and 400 for the 50' head. 280 happens to be the Aftma spec for a 10wt line. So, again, that rods handles a true 10 reel or Rio's mislabeled '9wt'. 

The Scott 9 again is great with the TAC 9wt line but I'd say slightly better on the Rio Flats Pro '8wt', which is also mislabeled. The Rio 8wt line is 240 grains @ 30' which is again spot on to the Aftma 9wt standard. It's 335 for the 49' head. So yea again, this rod handles a true 9 or Rio's wrongly labeled '8wt'.

I don't know the head length on the TACs but it's probably closer to 40' in length. I'm pretty comfortable either way with both rods at this point, and that better be the case because for the time being the TACs are no longer available and may not be in the future.

The TAC Balanced Taper head info should be on the flap of the box where you would open and close it.  It’s in the horrible light green color and is impossible to read, but it’s there.

It’s a half heavy and I think closer to

50’ than 40’.

19 mins ago, BrokeOff said:

The TAC Balanced Taper head info should be on the flap of the box where you would open and close it.  It’s in the horrible light green color and is impossible to read, but it’s there.

It’s a half heavy and I think closer to

50’ than 40’.

I just looked, quick. I can’t find it on my boxes. I’ll look again when I get back home. 

The Fla guide told me the weight at some point, you’re probably right, 1/2 heavy. 

2 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

5-5-6-8.5.-13.5-14=52 with rear taper.

I 'see' it now... I never would have looked there and as you said, its barely noticeable. I can't read it tho.

That line does not feel that long to me, it shoots well at less than the full head. 

Thanks for posting this.

On a similar note, I noticed that a local shop has (or had) a 9 weight, 2 pc Scott Meridian (predecessor to the Sector)...may give that a toss over the weekend

32 mins ago, albacized said:

On a similar note, I noticed that a local shop has (or had) a 9 weight, 2 pc Scott Meridian (predecessor to the Sector)...may give that a toss over the weekend

I’ve never thrown it but it’s supposed to have its fans. 

On 6/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, albacized said:

This rod is awesome! I recently got one used from bears den (sorry to break the news if thats the one you had your eyes on) but if not you should definitely give it a cast. 

James, Sorry for not contacting you sooner .My father passed and  I was busy with that. Any how I purchased a brand new Scott Meridian that had the original wrapping on the cork in 9 wt.  It is a fantastic rod so far. Only been out 6 times so far. My next rod will be a Sector for sure !  My 2 friends have  them from Ct. Surfcasters . Thanks Bud  !