Papa John

secure my surf rod to my car

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any good ways to secure a one piece surf rod to some crossbars?  Some type of locking device or something?  I have two rods and the other is a two piece. When I'm using my two piece rod, I'd like to leave the one piece locked to the top of my car. Some places i fish i can see my car but others I can't, and unfortunately there are people that will steal your stuff.

Thanks

surf.jpg

Posted (edited)

before I had locking ski racks, I would use a thin cable lock.... many options online. 

I feed the cable lock through the largest guide frame (not the eye of the guide)

I sometimes still use the cable when my rods are locked in the rack, because 

a rod can EASILY be pushed right out of a locked ski rack.  

Edited by Pistol Pete

Maybe put your cane in a large roof box?

Or in a surfboard cover?

Many years ago I was still using single-stranded bamboo rods.

I used to store them in a plastic pipe, which was attached to the roof rack of my old Renault.

4 hours ago, Papa John said:

Does anyone have any good ways to secure a one piece surf rod to some crossbars?  Some type of locking device or something?  I have two rods and the other is a two piece. When I'm using my two piece rod, I'd like to leave the one piece locked to the top of my car. Some places i fish i can see my car but others I can't, and unfortunately there are people that will steal your stuff.

Thanks

surf.jpg

I would never leave expensive gear unattended.  There's great transporting options but trust no one.

If they want it, they will get it. They will butcher your car rack with a sawzall and have their way with your gear before you decide on a 12 or 20oz Wawa. Believe me… it’s hardly a deterrent, but more of a way to transport your gear. 

Reel Fortress has worked well for me the past year but getting leery of traveling more than a few miles with the rods out

3 hours ago, D1fishr said:

They will butcher your car rack with a sawzall and have their way with your gear before you decide on a 12 or 20oz Wawa. Believe me

We are not talking about Philly.

And 7-11 is better than Wawa

Posted (edited)

In this day and age. I dont attach anything on the outside of my car unattended. Too much itchy finger evil scum all over the place. Nice or bad neighborhoods. Theyre everywhere.

Edited by EricL

12 hours ago, EricL said:

In this day and age. I dont attach anything on the outside of my car unattended. Too much itchy finger evil scum all over the place. Nice or bad neighborhoods. Theyre everywhere.

That is why all of my rods are 2-pc, and go inside of my vehicle. 
Butch

17 hours ago, D1fishr said:

If they want it, they will get it. They will butcher your car rack with a sawzall and have their way with your gear before you decide on a 12 or 20oz Wawa. Believe me… it’s hardly a deterrent, but more of a way to transport your gear. 

They can break your window and steal things out of your car. They can also just take the whole car. A locking rack gives you time to got to the bathroom or pick up a bag of ice unless you are unfortunate enough to stumble onto professional thieves with a set of tools.

I was thinking of ski racks, but I can't use them with my Lockrack (no room for it to operate). So far, I can fit my rods inside, but it would have been nice to throw them up top.

2 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

That is why all of my rods are 2-pc, and go inside of my vehicle. 
Butch

I watch a lot of UK Sea Fishing videos and they all drive compact cars and all of the rods are 2 or 3 piece. No problems. 

Just now, ecks said:

I watch a lot of UK Sea Fishing videos and they all drive compact cars and all of the rods are 2 or 3 piece. No problems. 

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

They can break your window and steal things out of your car. They can also just take the whole car. A locking rack gives you time to got to the bathroom or pick up a bag of ice unless you are unfortunate enough to stumble onto professional thieves with a set of tools.

I was thinking of ski racks, but I can't use them with my Lockrack (no room for it to operate). So far, I can fit my rods inside, but it would have been nice to throw them up top.

I think the biggest advantage of inside the vehicle is "Out of sight, out of mind"... My rods are difficult to see with the tinted windows, so why break in, it there is nothing in sight?... Sure, if they know it's there and are determined to get it they will...

Butch