cashews121

Sunken Meadow Park

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

You need a night fishing permit to park during the night. The Permits are no longer available till September. 

go there at night and you will see glowsticks and bells on top of rods..and the clinking of bottles.. 

Night time is a zoo. Fires and tents on the beaches. Speakers blasting in the parking lots. Modelo bottles galore. I'm not entirely sure if they even check for permits anymore, too much hassle. 

Yes it gets crowded if you like to fish In front of pavilions, but if you’re willing to walk a bit you can find some space to yourself, especially if it’s late and during the week. I’ve never had anything stolen out of my car there. 

plovers have the entire stretch in front of the boardwalk closed, putting a lot of pressure on the lesser visited east and west sides

5 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

plovers have the entire stretch in front of the boardwalk closed, putting a lot of pressure on the lesser visited east and west sides

The eastern tip is usually pretty quiet, I guess people didn't want to take the walk. Lately it's getting more and more crowded. I think people see everyone walking down there and assume they're missing out on a bite. My last trip I was greeted with a crowd of shoulder-to-shoulder families soaking bait for scup. No shot I could drift my bucktail through that mess. Shame. 

16 mins ago, JimmyBean said:

soaking bait for scup.

porgy bite has been garbage over there this season.. i have seen very few scup come out of the water.

Haven't been there in ages. Presumably getting shallower and shallower each year. Did they finish dredging the river inlet?

I agree with everyone; it's my sons' favorite beach to fish bcz you can get sea robins on every cast, which is a nice workout for them. Also, sea robin fillets are delicious when baked.

Yes, there are many Hispanics including families and kids there that hang out all day (and night) and fish for porgy with sandworms and sometimes clams. My boys and I go there to fish for fluke and we've seen a few others that throw Gulp and bucktails for fluke. The last few visits: no fluke caught, many sea robins, no porgy by any Hispanics, lots of pin size bait balls along the shore. At the nissy (east), a partial area is cordoned off for plovers. Oodles of walkers in that direction, even walking from the shore across the marsh outflow.  At Hallahan's (west), you need to walk a while to get away from the shoulder to shoulder porgy bait chunkers.

We're going to give it a shot again there early July. We'll keep you in the loop. 

Carpniels

Almost all ny shore beaches are wall to wall porgy rigs and fluke bait rigs. I stopped going to the north beaches after losing good spots fighting to white and orange buckets.