Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fergal

Progressive lenses

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, HL said:

Hi Drew,

They have a new product out called a "Bi-Focal". Simpler :-))

BTW - wrap-arround perscription lenses are impossible if the wearer has a high degree of astigmatism.

Will leave for the Cape (Provincetiow) Saturday for a week

Herb

Yeah, having an astigmatism is tough, I couldn't use cheap readers due to mine. That's one of the reasons I went with the progressives.

Good to know that wraps, astigmatisms, and progressives don't mix well. If I decide to get progressive sunglasses I will look into flatter lenses. 

I've had progressives for maybe 4 months now.  They're getting better over time.  There are different grades of progressives.  My sunglasses are Wileys and have a good curve on them.  My normal glasses are actually safety glasses paid for by employer.  The vision quality of the free glasses is lesser than the Wileys because employer opts for the lesser priced lenses, which have a narrower field of view.   But as I get used to them, I like them more.  At first it was like looking through a fishbowl. 

Been wearing progressive lenses ( both regular and sun ) for 30 years. Best thing I ever did.

Posted (edited)

Youngsters; just wait a few years. When you reach the point where everything is fuzzy no matter what the distance is you will appreciate Progressive lenses. I can't see to drive without distance lenses and I can't see the dash controls with distance lenses. Tried bifocals and hate the line. I have already had cataract surgery and unfortunately, still need to wear glasses. Yes, I stay away from the extreme curved lenses. Progressives are awesome!

Edited by Ladyfish

I've had progressives (3  focal zones) for about 4 years now, and have astigmatism as well. Definitely takes some getting used to. I tried a couple of different styles of sunglasses and anything with a wrap was worthless, lenses popped out, big distortion/depth perception issues. I ended up getting a pair of American Optical Original Pilot frames with brown polarized lenses and that fixed all of those problems. The only downside is that there's no peripheral coverage like the more traditional wraparounds, but given the choice between that and the cocoon style wear overs I'll take a little light leaking in on the sides. I'm about due for a new rx, I'm finding that I have to take my glasses off to tie knots and when I'm at the bench tying flies. 

Posted (edited)

57 mins ago, Ladyfish said:

Youngsters; just wait a few years. When you reach the point where everything is fuzzy no matter what the distance is you will appreciate Progressive lenses. I can't see to drive without distance lenses and I can't see the dash controls with distance lenses. Tried bifocals and hate the line. I have already had cataract surgery and unfortunately, still need to wear glasses. Yes, I stay away from the extreme curved lenses. Progressives are awesome!

I’m fine with distance and driving and I can see the dash easily. 

its gettting worse but for now it’s doable. 

Edited by Drew C.

Tried the progressives first time I got my vision checked. Hated them, field of vision too small, both up and down and side to side. Brought them back and got my reading prescription filled and went to drug store for my regular glasses

After a year or two of carrying two pairs of glasses I opted for contacts and never looked back

I still carry cheaters,  I couldn’t see having two different contact lens scripts. Didn’t buy into your brain will get used to it. If I glance at something without turning my head, doesn’t make sense if the wrong prescription is trying to focus on the subject. I’d have to turn my head to bring the correct eye into play. Troubling while driving as you tend to follow your head. I like my way better

I've had progressive lenses for at least 15 years.  Bi-focals before that. If I remember correctly, it did take me a little while to get use to them.  I'm use to them, so I have no problems with them.  I can read with them but have a separate pair of reading/tying glasses.  When I'm fishing I usually have last year's pair of reading glasses with me.  Large flies, lures and jigs I can still tie on with just the progressives.  My optometrist offered to make me a prescription pair of polarized sunglasses, but they were just too expensive.  I use Cocoons over my glasses, I have four different pair, gray, copper, amber and yellow.  The cost of those four pair was 1/3 the price of the prescription pair.  When I first started wearing them, I wasn't happy with the light leakage coming through the clear, but same color lenses, on the wrap-around portion.  What I started doing was blacking them out.  That improved the sight picture, not to mention cutting out the glare. 

Posted (edited)

Been wearing progressives for 20+ years. Better lenses $$ are, well better. There are also a lot of different progressive field shapes based on activity and usage. A good optometrist can talk you through the different options based on your projected usage.  Took me a couple weeks to get used to them. Could begin to tie a knot without them.  And yes sunglasses too.

I have a high astigmatism and minor nearsighted (+ giant readers ;) ) definitely no wrap. Normally a RayBan type shape.  Trivex lenses have worked the best for me. Clearer than poly and still impact resistant. The thin fashion type lenses (can’t remember the material) didn’t have the optical clarity I needed in my social security years ;) 

Edited by G8trwood

I got progressive lenses two years ago, hated them.

I needed distance lenses which I use for driving but was having small issues up close. Much the same the dash gets blurry with the distance scrip. Could not get used to the progressives.

I tryed progressives from a few different manufactures, had to go back to distance only. I am now thinking wrap around issue. 

3 pairs of progressive sunglasses.

I can tie a knot with all.

cannot read with 2 pair of costa’s that have lots of wrap.

a air of Wiley’s that are flatter and a mild wrap allows me to read (barely).

flat regular glasses are progresive and work great 

That seems to be the theme - wraps don't work. I'll see what I have to do to get just a distance script for them and go from there. 

I have been wearing progressive glasses and sunglasses for a long time.  I remember that they took some getting used to.  If you have a really strong prescription like I do, most of the popular fishing sunglasses won't work.  

Just to add to the discussion, I recently bought progressive polarized transitional lenses and have been fishing in them for the last month or two.  They only come in grey.  So far I like them.  I don't think you can spot fish as well as brown or amber in many conditions, but I know they work better in low light, so it's a tradeoff.

Good luck

Mark

I needed glasses for close up reading. My wife suggested I get progressives, but I insisted I only need them for up close. I discussed this with the optometrist and he backed up my wife's opinion. I got them. I spent the whole ride home staring out the window (too much off the road, probably) at leaves, grass, etc. amazed at the detail I could see. It did take me a few weeks or so to get used to the progressive lenses, but I love them. A year later I got some polarized Panama Jack sunglasses, love them, too. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.