Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fergal

Progressive lenses

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

This is an offshoot from a previous thread. I recently got two pairs of sunglasses, both progressives. After wearing them both for fishing and general use I can say that they absolutely suck. It was a huge mistake to get them on my part. I've known others that like them but they're not for me. The Costas are really bad. The Maui's are not that bad but I find myself wearing my old ones at this point. I should have just went with distance for them. 

I don't know about sunglasses but I recently got regular progressive lenses and they are game changers for me. I wish I got them a few years ago.

I still think that I am in between needing them and not. I don't need glasses to read or for a computer, I can still easily tie salt water sized tippet, trout stuff gets a little harder but is still doable. I do wear cheaters for work at times (dentals and extractions) but it's for magnification purposes really, not because I can't see well. 

When I get back from vacation I'll see what I have to do to get the Costas changed out to distance. I really like the lens color, just hate the progressives. The Maui's, I'll give them a little more time and see.

I got a pair of progressives made for me by Shady Rays and they also were game changers for me.  Not having to hang an extra pair of glasses off my neck and switch every time I need to tie a knot or take a hook out of a toothy mouth is a blessing. 

I was told that the issue is how much "wrap around" the frames have. Apparently it is difficult to have both an aggressive curve coupled with progressive lenses- much distortion.

I bought frames from Harley Davidson for my progressives. Love 'em.

Drew,

Have you tried Cocoons over your regular progressive lenses eyeglasses? 

Steve Culton

4 hours ago, ken r said:

I was told that the issue is how much "wrap around" the frames have. Apparently it is difficult to have both an aggressive curve coupled with progressive lenses- much distortion.

I bought frames from Harley Davidson for my progressives. Love 'em.

I think that might be part of the problem with the costas. They have a pretty good wrap to them, my Maui’s don’t. 

4 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Drew,

Have you tried Cocoons over your regular progressive lenses eyeglasses? 

Steve Culton

I want aware of them until you pointed the out. I’m not really interested in something like that. Thanks though. 

3 hours ago, Striperknight said:

They take some time to get use to. 

It’s been a solid six weeks at this point. 

my main point here was one is looking at glasses, consider where you’re at. 

I don’t need glasses for ready. I can still easily tie all day type tippet with no problems. Fresh is harder but doable. I really only need them for distance, nothing else. It was a costly mistake but live and learn. 

I just don’t really need them yet. I’m out now, wearing the Mauis. They’re ok for fishing but we’ve been hiking out here all week and my depth perception is a bit off. I feel like I’m 8’ tall and have taken a few awkward steps. Also, the ground is a bit off and it’s made float hunting a bit harder (first world white people problems lol). 

I’ll keep the mauis for a bit but the costas are definitely getting swapped out when I get home. 

I tried progressives for my regular glasses. Not a fan myself. I can see up close like a hawk but blind as a bat at distance.

I take my glasses off to see my computer screen. I was hoping the progressives would help eliminate doing that (taking glasses on and off), but just didn't like them.

I'm glad I didn't get them on my prescription sunglasses. I just look down under the lens on those when I need to tie a knot. Not a perfect solution but it works for me.

SF

6 mins ago, Stonefish said:

I tried progressives for my regular glasses. Not a fan myself. I can see up close like a hawk but blind as a bat at distance.

I take my glasses off to see my computer screen. I was hoping the progressives would help eliminate doing that (taking glasses on and off), but just didn't like them.

I'm glad I didn't get them on my prescription sunglasses. I just look down under the lens on those when I need to tie a knot. Not a perfect solution but it works for me.

SF

That’s what I do - flip the glasses up or down a bit. Granted, I don’t have to do that with progressives but I’d rather see well at a distance for 95% of an outing vs the 5% (if that) when I retie, etc. 

Does anyone have experience with Bajio sunglasses?

Their website describes their Rx lenses as

"Progressive Additional Lenses (PAL). Made for distance vision with a small reading area in the bottom of the lens..."

The site says these lenses are different than conventional bifocals, which are designed primarily for reading. From the description it sounds like the magnifying portion of the lens is smaller than regular bifocals.

Hi Drew,

They have a new product out called a "Bi-Focal". Simpler :-))

BTW - wrap-arround perscription lenses are impossible if the wearer has a high degree of astigmatism.

Will leave for the Cape (Provincetiow) Saturday for a week

Herb