Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonefishing

saltwater float tubing

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Tim and I have often thought about launching the float tubes in the brine but never did it. I tried it once last year with the kick boat, with the lack of mobility and the currents in the area that we were fishing the kick boat was a pain in the butt. I bought a kayak shortly after that excursion, now that's a fishing machine. biggrin.gif

I'd have to say, getting towed around would be a hoot though!!! wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

I own what they call a sport utility boat, its a step up from a floattube,whereas you sit out of the water, still wear waders/wetsuit, but it has a bladder that inflates to very large dia. in the shape of a boat without the bottom or transom-where in plaace is a pole to rest your feet.

I have not caught anything large yet, 7 lb striper 6/7 lb bluefish. but even so they will still pull you a little. I have set the drag lighter, and the drag of the boat compensates. In Little Neck Bay much of the bottom is "mud" except for a portion of the eastern side, so I would not hesitate to use my 3 lb anchor to stop a slob.

Mike

Never tried this, but can relate to getting towed in my 14'tin. Usually I fish Raritan bay with it. A 16 # blue in the skinny water can pull that rig through the water pretty well depending on wind/tide. The same size striper dosn't have the "horsepower."

About 4 years ago, I was fishing with one of my teenage boys off the end of the Earle pier. (this was before he discovered girls, and foresaked Dad and fishing) We were using cut bunker and targeting big blues. We had wire leaders and 30 lb. ande line on a couple of "meatsticks". The fishing had been slow, and the boy was whining to go in and starting to curl up for a nap out of boredom. So, when I got a solid take and set the hook bigtime I handed him the pole. We got towed over a half mile unable to gain line, at a fast clip, almost trolling speed. The boys eyes were bugged out and I had to start the engine to motor down on it to regain line.

Finally we got a glimpse of it as he bore down and winched it in. A HUGE sea turtle broke the surface right next to the boat, all we saw was a gigantic head (bigger than a basketball), one flipper (wider than a shovel) and the front quarter of the shell. The monster then broke the line and disappeared. I have to estimate it was close to the size of the boat, or at least the size of a sofa.

After this encounter and our "Raritan Bay Sleighride" the boy's enthusiasm was boundless and many times that summer he sugested we go after Sea Turtles.

I think with a float tube or even kiyak there might be times when you would want to cut the line if you encounter an "unstopable".

Gam,

That's an awesome story! I love sea turtles, and think it's incredible that we have them in our crowded, somewhat-polluted metropolitan waters. Can't imagine what that must have been like to see that Goliath come up out of the depths. The only turtle I ever caught was when my brother and I, out of boredom, threw canned corn at Spruce Run, trying to catch carp. I got a god hit, set the hook, and reeled in a "Carp" that only seemed to want to swim in a straight line. Well, no carp came up, but a very annoyed snapping turtle....yours would have eaten it as an hors d'ouvre.

I've been a float tube fisherman for over 20 years and its one of my favorite ways to fish. I think that it would be dangerous in slatwater however. The lack of power regarding currents could get serious. The best alternative is a kayak which I purchased this year. Even small fish tow a kayak. Since I got mine I haven't been in the tube since. biggrin.gif

Here you go!Check this out.I got this picture from an old saltwater flyfishing book called Saltwater Flyfishing handbook by Sam Nix.copyright 1973

This guy was in San Diego bay floatubing before they even made the things.Thats a Bonito he's got in the net.I've got one but never had the nerve to try it out in the ocean.The idea of having my legs dangling in the water at night never really appealed to me.Can you say Great White Shark?

Also my waders always have a hole in them someplace.If you try to float tube in leaky waders you will be come acquainted with Archimedes Principle.As far as getting dragged,heck that's the fun part! http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547...0/mvc-570s.jpg

Sharks also came into mind. We had sharks come pretty close to us during the summer while wading in Staten Island waters. Sitting in a float tube looking like a seal was one of the main deterents why I haven't done this yet.

Besides the obvious problems with water current the major problem I envision is the unhooking of a bass or blue caught on a plug.

Can you imagine trying to grab a fish with a plug hanging off its head with three sets of trebles poised to poke a hole in your tube? How about trying to land a nice bass and its dorsal fin decides to sink you? How about this scenario - You have a nice 20-30 pound bass which has been towing you around for a while. As it tires you slowly work it toward you to try and land it. It takes a last ditch lunge at your legs under the tube. You now have a good bass which is attached to your plug and one of the exposed trebles has snagged your legs. It wouldn't take much of an accident to put you in danger. Ever wonder why you usually see only fly fishermen using tubes and mostly in freshwater? Answer: single hook fly and fishing for trout which have soft fins. Teeth, trebles, and sharp fins don't mix with a float tube. Be careful. One great advantage with float tubes is they will allow you to get to places where you normally would have to swim or boat to. Rock islands in my neck of the surf. When you get there, take the tube off and fish. Remember to tie your tube down so it doesn't blow/float away.

Dennis Z.