Rwb1500

Time For A New 8 Weight

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I've been fishing an Orvis Clearwater 8 weight for a few years now.  It's a great rod, it's been bouncing around in the bottom of my kayak nonstop and takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It is a little slower than I'd prefer, and a little heavier. Looking to upgrade to something faster and preferably a little lighter. It'll mainly be a smallmouth rod, poppers, articulated streamers, down to Clouser Minnows. I have a 6 weight Orvis Recon which I love,  and have considered an 8 weight but I definitely want to explore my options. I'm definitely not opposed to used rods, that's usually my MO. 

I know there are a few Sage offerings in my wheelhouse, I'm just not very familiar with their lineup. Would love to hear any and all suggestions. Thanks! 

My choice for the kayak is either a used 8' Recon or Sage LMB (7'11"). Neither are easy to find but I've fished the Sage and it's a lazer! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish either my 22 year old Sage XP or the used Orvis Helios  I bought last year. Both are great rods and the XP has caught literally tons of smallmouth and stripers to 40lbs.  Both are 9' for an 8. I banged banks, stumps and overhanging trees with the XP for a great smallie day out my SOT , Memorial Day.  Saw a lot of great acrobats. Sage charges a lot for repairing "classics" now, check their site if that's a factor. Good thing is the Clearwater's a good back-up. Both my  8's are a joy, light and powerful, would be a large upgrade from the CW.   I've cast and fished Recons, but consider the Helios to be better. I have  a 6 a 7, too.  All good. Have fun!

Edited by bloosfisher

Redington Predator 6wt (or 7wt).  Smallmouth rod does not have to be heavier than a 6wt, IMO.  The Predator rods seem plentiful on the big auction site, for some reason.  Might be discontinued soon, I think, so could get a deal.  Retail is $349 for the Predators but can find for ~ $200.

For used rods, Sage RPL 7wt, or TFO TiCr 6wt (the one with the full wells grip).  Or the Sage smallmouth rod.  But the latter is really hard to find.

Sage Payload 7+ as an option if you throw a lot of bass bugs and target largemouth too.  I love the Recon series and that 6 makes a great smallie streamer rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you all for your replies. An older Helios or Helios 2 is definitely something I've considered. Looked at the Redington Predator too. Also thumbing through the older Sage rods. 

My reasoning behind an 8 instead of a 6 weight is that we're talking about big, big flies. Yes sometimes I'll fish Clouser Minnows and Boogle bugs and your traditional smallmouth fare but I live in smallmouth heaven and routinely target the biggest fish possible. Mike Shultz' Swinging D, big Game Changers, stuff like this;

20220602_212757.jpg

Hence the need for an 8 weight.  If they occasionally bring up a musky,  so be it. 

I'm also fishing the Susquehanna. It is big, big water. All but a mile wide in places at Harrisburg.  Whether wading or floating or ripping around in a jet boat big water,  big flies and the possibility of big wind makes an 8 weight almost necessary. 

All the heavy stuff pays off.  Pulled a 23 inch fish just a few hours ago that must have weighed 5 pounds.  Unfortunately it was spawned out.  A month or two ago it would have been a true monster.  

Edited by Rwb1500

On 6/2/2022 at 9:47 PM, Rwb1500 said:

Thank you all for your replies. An older Helios or Helios 2 is definitely something I've considered. Looked at the Redington Predator too. Also thumbing through the older Sage rods. 

My reasoning behind an 8 instead of a 6 weight is that we're talking about big, big flies. Yes sometimes I'll fish Clouser Minnows and Boogle bugs and your traditional smallmouth fare but I live in smallmouth heaven and routinely target the biggest fish possible. Mike Shultz' Swinging D, big Game Changers, stuff like this;

20220602_212757.jpg

Hence the need for an 8 weight.  If they occasionally bring up a musky,  so be it. 

I'm also fishing the Susquehanna. It is big, big water. All but a mile wide in places at Harrisburg.  Whether wading or floating or ripping around in a jet boat big water,  big flies and the possibility of big wind makes an 8 weight almost necessary. 

All the heavy stuff pays off.  Pulled a 23 inch fish just a few hours ago that must have weighed 5 pounds.  Unfortunately it was spawned out.  A month or two ago it would have been a true monster.  

Nearly same for me, except it's pike and channel  cats to 20lbs. , also in a big river, and big smallies, though last Sat's  20"er has been the biggest so far this year. It took a 3/0 Deceiver wrapped with .030  lead. Congrats on the 23! 

21 hours ago, 27conch said:

COLTON

I have been eyeing a Tradewinds XS. I have a 10 weight XS and it is an absolute canon.  Light it is not, but that might not matter when they retail for what,  $225?

12 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

Nearly same for me, except it's pike and channel  cats to 20lbs. , also in a big river, and big smallies, though last Sat's  20"er has been the biggest so far this year. It took a 3/0 Deceiver wrapped with .030  lead. Congrats on the 23! 

Thank you! You get channel cats eating your flies? It's only happened to me once and it was a big crayfish pattern I had just kinda let sit on the bottom for a second. 

22 hours ago, brett warren said:

Can’t say enough good things about my 8wt 8’4 sector, really amazing rod

I can imagine, although new that would be a bit out of my budget.  

11 hours ago, Rwb1500 said:

Thank you! You get channel cats eating your flies? It's only happened to me once and it was a big crayfish pattern I had just kinda let sit on the bottom for a second. 

They commonly prey on baitfish, are a  by catch when stripers are after blueback herring.  I caught many livelining bait in a reservoir when I was a young punk. My largest took a Deceiver with lots of grizzly tied to imitate a  small crappie. I have a  Colton 10 wt.  Tradewinds XS, too.  I use it for stripers off rocks and for big poppers at night. I don't know if I'd like it in an 8.