MC55

June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

483 posts in this topic

Caught my first bass on bugs today, on a crowded SoMoCo beach at 2:30 pm, after reading all of the comments on here. I typically just throw plugs and metals. Wound up being my PB from the surf  at 31”. Safely released. Appreciate the insight and links from all. I’m a convert. 

Hit some South Jersey sods, went 3 for 5 and took one home for the table. The onshore wind made the backbays a great morning.

Had the whole place to myself until out of nowhere a guy putzes his boat (4pack) right directly 15ft in front of me and drops lines.... The whole ocean and this guy parks up in front of me, gotta be kidding.. ANYWAY, was a great way to spend a beautiful Sunday. Get out there, water is warming up!

Using a dropper with one of those redfish flats jigs and a 5in white mullet with an @mtl50 teaser tipped with a 3in chart mullet about a foot above. The flats jig was the ticket, kept the cabbage away and let it just skirt the bottom on the retrieve.

PXL_20220605_114807487.jpg

PXL_20220605_114824910.MP.jpg

PXL_20220605_114810125.jpg

First morning seeing a large spread of bunker out there.  They all seemed to be pretty happy and even the boats that would stop and fish a pod didn't stay very long.  Water seemed a bit warmer this morning with a surf that was flattening, so had to do a bit of walking to find spots to work the bugs.  Not as active as Saturday but did manage to find 4 with the biggest at 32 inches and the others at 26.  Forecast is for the surf to kick up tomorrow from the tropical storm so looking forward to much better conditions in the morning.

DSCF3876.JPG

DSCF3877.JPG

DSCF3879.JPG

Had a hard time finding nice bugs last night.  Lots of small ones.  3nights ago the same beach was loaded with jumbos.  Fish were still there though. Lots of crazies on the beach. Way more then usual. Plus is anyone else noticing more homeless people?

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

yup......watch your stuff.

The other night I stashed my rake on a dune to avoid a trip to the car.  When I finished I'm walking back to the rake and in the distance I see moving shadows by my rake. I sprint there with all my gear and it's a homeless guy that set up shop for the night right by where I stashed my rake. Pitch black I think we were both caught off guard. Without saying anything I grab my rake which is within 5ft of him and get out of there. So weird. Then there's another town nearby where I see the same ppl nigbt after night sleeping in their vehicle by the beach. Vehicle full of bags and stuff.

I've tried rigging sand fleas on 6/0 circle hooks on Hi Lo occasionally the bottom bug is not there when I check the bait or try to recast to another spot.

Any hints?  I am hooking the bugs center midline thru shell midway behind eyes and tail.  Is it Crabs or other critters? or can I do something diffrent.? Thank you in advance!

Last night 830pm - 1am out back MoCo. Found a spot with a few blues. Landed one and had a few others hit/come unbuttoned on a bone Swarter. They didn’t want anything else. First time I saw a decent amount of small bait fish in the water all spring. Should have stayed for the change of tide but I was dead tired after a long day. 

Had a turtle bump into me that scared the crap out of me. Thought is was a horseshoe crab until I realized it was right next to me on the surface moseying along. 

AD80C096-FF42-4EFC-84EC-91C4FDEFC604.jpeg

41 mins ago, adams54 said:

The other night I stashed my rake on a dune to avoid a trip to the car.  When I finished I'm walking back to the rake and in the distance I see moving shadows by my rake. I sprint there with all my gear and it's a homeless guy that set up shop for the night right by where I stashed my rake. Pitch black I think we were both caught off guard. Without saying anything I grab my rake which is within 5ft of him and get out of there. So weird. Then there's another town nearby where I see the same ppl nigbt after night sleeping in their vehicle by the beach. Vehicle full of bags and stuff.

yup......there's alot of homeless out there and they'll help themselves to what you got, also the legalization of drugs here in NJ adds to the scenario.......watch your stuff and yourself.

Posted (edited)

45 mins ago, Jeff888 said:

I've tried rigging sand fleas on 6/0 circle hooks on Hi Lo occasionally the bottom bug is not there when I check the bait or try to recast to another spot.

Any hints?  I am hooking the bugs center midline thru shell midway behind eyes and tail.  Is it Crabs or other critters? or can I do something diffrent.? Thank you in advance!

get the February issue of "On The Water".....Mike lays the whole process out for ya....excellent tutorial.....thanks Mike / MC55.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

8 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

yup......there's alot of homeless out there and they'll help themselves to what you got, also the legalization of drugs here in NJ adds to the scenario.......watch your stuff and yourself.

If you see me smoking a J in the dunes just keep walkin.

1 hour ago, Jeff888 said:

Try a 3/0 circle 

Just had a little time on my lunch break to throw some plugs off the surf. South wind but water was clear enough to see a school of 8 or so bass cruising back and forth in the trough. They were darting up into the lip sucking down sand fleas and would retreat with the waves rolling back. Really cool to watch. I tried a tiny white bucktail but they weren't dumb. Didn't have any circle hooks so I had to just sit back and watch the show for 20 minutes. Someone also caught a 26# cobia from the beach here too. 

Posted (edited)

Day 71 since I have seen a bunker Water is warm and the waders are hung up. Blues around, bass at night, daytime small bass almost hand feeding them sand crabs

a lot of sketchy people about near me as well Also a lot of weird angry people - 

what a 3 day stretch of weather

SSE wind now is terrible 

Edited by suntzu