MC55

June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

475 posts in this topic

This south / south east wind that has been honking in the limited windows I've had to fish really stinks.  I still managed a few fish today.   I lost a 24 inch or so bass in the wash and then landed 3 chunky blues on top water.    

On a side note I helped a good friend relaunch a boat today and took the shakedown ride with him.   Having not seen any really signs of bunker in the surf I can safely report the bay is absolutely choked with them pretty much everywhere we went today. 

IMG_5440.jpeg

12 hours ago, sjsurf2014 said:

Nice catch, I’m sure that was a blast on the fly rod. If I squint hard enough, I do see a bass!

I've been trying to get them to eat a whooly bugger all spring at a local pond, this just gave me some more motivation to keep going with it. 

8 hours ago, MEF said:

a small bonefish fly

Thanks.  I catch those in my friends pond but we go old school with the corn so the kids can fish.  Thought about using my fly rod but never did.  I only have a 6 weight so not sure I have enough to handle some of the bigger ones.  

Again for what it’s worth-

i use a 5- managed fish to the 4-6 pound range- correct tippet size is I think a larger issue- 3x even 2x-. I am usually out fishing for small mouth in south or north branch and run into carp and have to cut my tippet back towards butt section- getting a BH wooly to sink correctly with the larger tippet in order to lead them is the larger issue- sometimes need to tie in a 4x tippet of about 18 inches if the above is not working out- I would think a 6 weight would be fine. 

1 hour ago, bdawk said:

Thanks.  I catch those in my friends pond but we go old school with the corn so the kids can fish.  Thought about using my fly rod but never did.  I only have a 6 weight so not sure I have enough to handle some of the bigger ones.  

believe it or not i only use a 5 weight for them. as long as you use a strong enough tippet you can put a lot of pressure on a fish if you fight them with the butt of the rod, even with a 5 weight. Great practice for saltwater too

4 hours ago, bbfish said:

I've been trying to get them to eat a whooly bugger all spring at a local pond, this just gave me some more motivation to keep going with it. 

San juan worm or a green weenie should work in a pond. Drag and drop it so it falls by them. Either that or the biggest, stupidest looking stone fly nymph you own. 

Edited by MVTee
Spellcheck

14 hours ago, KrocFoot said:

Went 6 for 6 up to 31" on a moco beach this afternoon..crystal clear incoming water. All fish reeled in by any kid that wanted to. All lipped hooked and released promptly.

Screenshot_20220629-200253_Message+.jpg

Excellent!

Fished a northern Ocean County Beach for an hour and a half from 10 to 11:30 AM tried for bluefish there were none around. Tried bouncing for fluke no luck. Saw the stripers swimming and the trough And tried to toss some bugs at them to no avail. Wind was very light East water is clean and clear! Only saw one other fisherman. And no bait

So finished off the month of June on a bit of a high note.  Conditions were not the great out there with the surf going flat and not a lot of movement to be found.  Also, back to colder water but still crystal clear.  Looking at the forecast we will probably be in this quiet surf mode into the middle of next week.  In any case, found 3 with a 31 and a 29 incher in the mix.  Probably won't get back out again until Saturday.

DSCF3935.JPG

DSCF3938.JPG