MC55

June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

483 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MVTee said:

one slot bass that had a recent speargun related gash on its back and a 2-3lbs bluefish both on a bucktail. 

90320B41-3F57-4AC9-B79A-4963A4E23F04.jpeg

That is one nasty looking wound, these fish pretty tough ...

49 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

That is one nasty looking wound, these fish pretty tough ...

It was but looked to be healing. Fish fought well and swam off fine. 

MoCo Outback Yesterday Afternoon 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM     Hit 2 spots in the back yesterday afternoon.  Not the timeframe that I prefer, but if I can get out...  I'll go and take a shot.    The wind was blowing SSE around 10 to 15 and made just enough waves to make it difficult to tell if there was bait present.  First spot had some pretty dirty water and lots of weeds.  Very few casts came back without some amount of seaweed   But through the waves I was able to spot pods of adult bunker tail slaping on the surface.  that was the only thing that kept me there almost an hour.     Moved to another spot that had calm water that was clean.   I was able to see some small schools of spearing and some schools of small peanuts.    Unfortunately this spot had lots of seaweed too.     Very few casts came back with being fouled by seaweed.  I figured if I could get a small part of my retrieve without getting fouled by weeds I might have a chance.      Anyway it seemed pretty dead there too so gave up after about an hour..   Skunked ....

Met up with my brother for some early morning fluking yesterday out front.  We walked a lot of beach picking off a short fish here and there.  Fished some really nice looking water but none of it was producing more than 1 or 2 shorts.  Did more walking and tossed into what appeared to be a pocket of deeper water. I quickly connected with a 17.5-inch flattie.  Turned out to be a nice honey hole with hits almost every cast.  After I coaxed my brother to fish the same spot, he caught an 18-incher and I caught another slot.  As the tide dropped out, the bite shut off and we walked back with 3 on the stringer.  

Big take away - keep moving!  If the conditions are good and you work the area over with little to show for it, move on.  I find myself needing to follow my own advice all the time, but when I do, I'm rarely disappointed.   

1 hour ago, MVTee said:

@JimK respect for the elderly? 

You're going to need a bigger shovel to dig that hole any deeper.:D

Fished A northern ocean county beach this morning 5:30 AM to 7:30 AM light north wind clean water Some birds picking here and there otherwise no bait observed except the other present mole crab  rising tide Waves were small fluke are chewing on gulpswim mullet and gulp Grubbs close to the lip caught a bunch but no keepers

Haven't been out last couple of days.  Conditions this morning were pretty good.  Clean water with a light surf but the water temp has chilled a bit.  Still not seeing ant bait swimming around so the bugs are the thing.  Went 6 for 8 with a couple of 30 inchers and a 28.

DSCF3928.JPG

DSCF3930.JPG

That is a cool looking rod. Do you like it? Did you make it yourself?

On 6/26/2022 at 5:05 PM, Potato Caboose said:

F9D9B3D9-C707-49DB-A6F7-BC55EB52C30B.jpeg

SIM would be proud.

Late report last evening. Light SSW, nice looking surf, middle of incoming, cool water,  short outing. 1 26” schoolie.

Nice cool(almost chilly) AM. Hit 2 spots, light NW, water remains cold with some rubbish in the surf, tangled line with mussel spooge, nada. Moved to spot #2 with cleaner water and plenty of soft sand and big bugs.  Immediately hooked up and dropped a decent fish after several seconds. Ended up going 2 for 3 with a 28” and 27”. I was unhooking my last fish and got crushed by a rogue wave. Almost took a dive in with the fish. Be careful, most of the surge is gone but there’s still a lot of energy in the surf. Won’t be out until tomorrow AM. 

3E478774-0B0D-49C4-B1AA-4BB397DB4CEC.jpeg

Last night MoCo back spearing all over last hour and a half of incoming. Almost cocktail blues popped up for a few minutes and disappeared only to pop up again for a few more minutes. A few were caught . Moved out front for dusk nothing happening.

4 hours ago, dbjpb said:

That is a cool looking rod. Do you like it? Did you make it yourself?

No, it's a rod made by Savage Gear.  Picked it up last fall and have been very pleased with it.