MC55

June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

483 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sjsurf2014 said:

Picked up my custom build from @Loudog this morning and gave it a spin. Had one blowup and cycled through some plugs to get a feel for the new stick, the rod is awesome! @Loudog broke in his custom with a fat, large mouthed flatty that was short, so he swam away.

good morning and company.

A7489939-4D06-4902-9E3D-7B09E8AF6C51.jpeg

267B7311-8F3D-4C9E-B559-9C9841D48C74.jpeg

I’m really stoked that you love the rod, @sjsurf2014!  You’re gonna have a fight on your hands keeping Shane from stealing it!

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Success. Went out there for the dogfish bite. Was excellent

Ran into a thresher on the surface feeding on bunker.  Was really looking forward to landing thresher on 20# and 4000 size reel.  

D606F2E3-2121-4EC0-828A-9F7596FD46E6.jpeg

Nice!!! Looks like fun 

Fished early O C today and found some bunker, stayed with them and kept changing lures and finally two fish, one nice fat bass 31 inches and one blue at 28 inches.  All fish released and we all went home happy !!   

Gave it a shot this evening. Steady S wind, water warm with choppier surf and clean clear water. End of outgoing to the flip. Was able to land 2, 24” and 30”. When I landed the smaller fish it looked like a V formation of bass coming up the sand. He had 2 buddies staying with him. When the wave started to recede they high tailed it out of there. 

Fished this morning 5:30 AM to 7 AM upper Ocean County Clean water no waves Lite Northwest breeze lots of bunker with porpoise on them , some small blues chasing bait in the wash, I did not use bugs and I did not catch a fish.

No fish were harmed in the making of this report. That's because no fish were caught!

On the beach at 5:30 am. Nice sunrise. Outgoing tide. Limited wave action. WNW breeze, that went NW. Floated bugs. No hits, no runs, no errors. Only one other guy fishing for as far as the eye could see and that was @jeffw 

Unlike yesterday, no birds, except for one lunatic who dived in front of us, missed his target and then did something I've never seen before - he shook his wings, in mid flight, like a human would do if he/she were shivering! Oddest thing I've seen in a long time. I've observed small birds in puddles do it, but never a bird in flight. 

Anyway, no blues thrashing in the water, like yesterday. Off the beach at 7:15, just as surfer school kids were showing up.

Back at it tomorrow.

23 hours ago, MC55 said:

For those saying they now see mobs out there fishing that have not been there before, I'm surprised.  What I have experienced this year has been much less participation

Glad you’re still reporting and I couldn’t agree more with you. A few experts on here always report about crowds and I wonder if they go to the beach at 10:00 a.m. on a holiday weekend and set up camp right in front of the entrance. Then I would understand it being crowded. It’s like going to an amusement park on the weekend and saying wow there’s a lot of people here. There’s plenty of room if you’re willing to research and put your time in. Trends will come and go, and bugs are the trend that’s putting fish on the beach. I agree with wefish, less bunker more crabs, they will eat crabs. People will always find something  to bitch about…too many people, people not using the correct gear, people not setting their drag properly. And of course the pictures of the bass on the sand will set their hair on fire. I hope you continue with your excellent reports! Thank you 

8 mins ago, waltw said:

Glad you’re still reporting and I couldn’t agree more with you. A few experts on here always report about crowds and I wonder if they go to the beach at 10:00 a.m. on a holiday weekend and set up camp right in front of the entrance. Then I would understand it being crowded. It’s like going to an amusement park on the weekend and saying wow there’s a lot of people here. There’s plenty of room if you’re willing to research and put your time in. Trends will come and go, and bugs are the trend that’s putting fish on the beach. I agree with wefish, less bunker more crabs, they will eat crabs. People will always find something  to bitch about…too many people, people not using the correct gear, people not setting their drag properly. And of course the pictures of the bass on the sand will set their hair on fire. I hope you continue with your excellent reports! Thank you 

I'm going to step out of the shadows of my stomping grounds this wknd and look into this claim about the overload of surfcasters rushing to the flea bite this weekend.  Will check back with a crowd and fish report.  And maybe a pic or two who knows.   

Posted (edited)

Another beautiful AM and sunrise. Light NNW, end of outgoing, flat ocean little surf action and clear water. Early light taps, presumably small fluke or kingfish. Other than that nada. Saw someone pull in a keeper fluke on bugs. At one point the gods mocked me. Just as I pitched out some bugs, a tail appeared just a few feet in front of me. The fish was full vertical flippin’ me the bird. Decent sized tail too. Ah well, taking the skunk for today. Don’t know if I’ll make it out later. Empress chores and such. If not, Friday is my next chance. 

Edited by DeeMonee

30 mins ago, fishless said:

I'm going to step out of the shadows of my stomping grounds this wknd and look into this claim about the overload of surfcasters rushing to the flea bite this weekend.  Will check back with a crowd and fish report.  And maybe a pic or two who knows.   

Haha….I’ll be out there. Maybe I’ll mug you After years of fishing up north I’m still learning the OC waters. But fish are fish and they eat the bugs! 

Seemed like a beautiful morning out there this morning, little wind and very calm … I woke up late and missed it… just on lunch break now reading about it lol I guess I didn’t miss much from the reports, kinda makes you feel better - thanks guys for the reports! 

Spent the last 3 or 4 days fishing. Multiple outings each day. Watched lots of fish swimming around. Bunker over the bar, dolphins in full attack mode. Ospreys decimating the fluke numbers. At one point i had 3 ospreys pull a short fluke (each) off the same sandbar at the same time. They came back for seconds successfully a short while later. Tons of little bait (maybe silversides) spraying all over in the troughs. This 31” fish got a hook somewhere it shouldn’t have one so took it home for tacos.  Blurring out my tactics as to not ruffle the feathers of the tactic police. 

1F011CCA-FA03-43C7-81F0-F3E4373005C4.jpeg

2 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Another beautiful AM and sunrise. Light NNW, end of outgoing, flat ocean little surf action and clear water. Early light taps, presumably small fluke or kingfish. Other than that nada. Saw someone pull in a keeper fluke on bugs. At one point the gods mocked me. Just as I pitched out some bugs, a tail appeared just a few feet in front of me. The fish was full vertical flippin’ me the bird. Decent sized tail too. Ah well, taking the skunk for today. Don’t know if I’ll make it out later. Empress chores and such. If not, Friday is my next chance. 

A more experienced fisherman would have dove on that bass and gone hand to fin with him. A missed chance.

I have had a very busy 2022 and have not been able to get out surf fishing much at all.  But I went out yesterday evening because I could.  I went right around dead low tide in southern MoCo.  Very calm and very clear water.  Wasn't expecting much but a nice evening on the sand - and that is what I got.  The only exception was a 20 inch summer flounder that took the pink teaser right at the lip.   

2 hours ago, jrzyripper said:

Spent the last 3 or 4 days fishing. Multiple outings each day. Watched lots of fish swimming around. Bunker over the bar, dolphins in full attack mode. Ospreys decimating the fluke numbers. At one point i had 3 ospreys pull a short fluke (each) off the same sandbar at the same time. They came back for seconds successfully a short while later. Tons of little bait (maybe silversides) spraying all over in the troughs. This 31” fish got a hook somewhere it shouldn’t have one so took it home for tacos.  Blurring out my tactics as to not ruffle the feathers of the tactic police. 

1F011CCA-FA03-43C7-81F0-F3E4373005C4.jpeg

Nice Fish. It's a shame grumpys posted the tactic