MC55

June 2022 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

483 posts in this topic

As I planned got out for the night shift. 1am to 545am. Out front MoCo. A lot of participation but not the quality I was looking for. Fish got bigger as the night went on and actually found a nice squad of bass and blues mixed in which I never see. Sluggo was the producer tonight of course. Was going to stick it out a little longer into the morning but I was pissing off some bug fishermen and decided that was my cue to call it a night. 

side note: I’ve been really giving my best effort the last couple of months to get a glider in the rotation but holy **** this thing sucks to pull fish. I’m sure it’ll work when everything else does but tonight I gave it first licks at every one of my spots and as soon as I switched to a producer it was fish on. Even the darter got some action tonight. Needlefish might be going back in the slot. 

C55D1BDB-EDEB-4924-919E-EB4FC77812D0.jpeg

7C9F4A14-162A-455A-8916-391496F3FD07.jpeg

149E19C0-E1EE-4F97-95EB-122E429B5B86.jpeg

13 hours ago, KrocFoot said:

Thanks to all you guys for motivating me to make a rake and give bugs a try. Got my first ever with my daughter by my side!

20220610_183100.jpg

Screenshot_20220610-185134_Gallery.jpg

Nice brother! Enjoy each day, they grow too fast! 

Report from last evening around 6pm til 10pm. 

Out back up north, was picking at the schoolie bass with bunker chunks. Around 8pm the bunker came in, in a big way. Fish blowing up, 100 yard blitz. Threw the bag, nothing LOL. All the while my nephew getting bass on every cast with bunker chunks. Nothing big, all the in the 26-32" range, but all you wanted with bluefish around 8lbs mixed in.

Couldnt believe  I couldnt even get a sniff of a strike on artificials. Swim shads, bucktails, SP minnows, gliders, topwater. Nothing.  If I threw a bunker chunk out, hook up in less than 2 minutes.  

Only thing I can think of is maybe it was bluefish chopping up the bunker and the bass were underneath scooping up the fallout.  If that was the case, 1st time ever I couldnt hook up a blue during a bunker blitz on any artificial lol. 

Out back in a kayak. Covered about 5 miles of Barnegat Bay without a sniff.   I was set up on some very tasty looking rip lines with hard current screaming through from the sedges in about 5 feet of water and still couldn’t raise a fish.  Great day to be on the water though! 

2 hours ago, nam1969 said:

On the beach a little before 6:30 am. Clean water, decent wave action. Swells have died down. Took @jeffw spot since it was empty. Fished bugs and had immediate success. Outgoing tide with a slow drift. Fish were small, 

less than 24". Got quiet for awhile, then I got slammed. Screaming reel and a lot of power in this fish. Slowly tightened the drag, but he kept going. I couldn't turn him and he got into the rocks. Tried working him out, to no avail. He finally popped off. Biggest fish I've hooked up with, on the beach, this spring. Made my day, even though I lost him. After that fish it went dead. He must have scared the crap out of all the other bass! Off the beach at 8:15 and to my favorite breakfast place. Hope to get back out later, but more likely tomorrow morning.

BTW, I communicated with @MC55 . He's almost recovered from his bout with covid and hopes to be back striking fear into the bass by early next week. Get well Mike. :wave:
'

Sounds like my kind of outing. I have that theory as well. Sometimes I think they get spooked. Then I move but idk. I think they know.

19 mins ago, adams54 said:

Sounds like my kind of outing. I have that theory as well. Sometimes I think they get spooked. Then I move but idk. I think they know.

We call it blowing a spot out.  Usually happens as described, with a better fish freaking out in shallow water. 

3 mins ago, bbfish said:

We call it blowing a spot out.  Usually happens as described, with a better fish freaking out in shallow water. 

So it is a thing. The shallow water I think is key in normal feeding conditions.  I'll add that to the vocab.

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

So it is a thing. The shallow water I think is key in normal feeding conditions.  I'll add that to the vocab.

Same here and have noticed this on many outings as well. Sometimes when they are feeding heavily it doesn't seem to matter at all. While certain times, especially the calmer <1ft nights, after a decent fish has been thrashing on the surface in shallow water all goes quiet for a while. Add to that you keep trying, time moves on and the fish could also have repositioned and now you're just "too late"...

Exception would be bomb casts to shallow rip lines yet the thrashing happens closer to the angler. I've had those fish keep firing as if nothing happened even in slick conditions. But if they make a ton of commotion way out than it too sometimes shuts down. Not a seasoned vet but definitely notice this and too chalk it up as blowing the spot out(multiple things/scenarios can do this not just a boat so to speak)

Finally broke the spring season skunk this morning. Out front OC, top of the tide to almost low, about 5:45 am - 10.  Good wave action, strong push from south to north.  Light west breeze.

Got it on a Hopkins in the wash, 24" on the button, relatively fat fish.

I left and got out of the waders and switched setups to look for fluke.  Walked a while and couldn't find any.  1/4 oz ball jig with gulp jerk shad kept floating north each time I jigged it so changed to 3/8 but no luck.  Also tried a Tinman wobble jig and kastmaster but no fish.

I did a couple early mornings and caught the skunk twice. I've lost the fish and have been on the hunt again in new grounds.    This evening though I took a walk with my daughter and the bay had bunker.  I did see a guy pull a nice bass chunking bait so maybe I need to stop looking inside again.   Anyway...I think my summer-ish doldrum has arrived and if I catch the skunk again I'm switching over and fluking for a while. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

First cast curse tonight. Outfront Moco. Hooked up with a decent sized blue on my first cast. Then nothing for 2 hours. 

I tried bugs for the first time but couldn't cast out more than 15 feet. Am I doing this right?  I put a couple split shots on the leader to a circle hook. 

PXL_20220611_232246909~2.jpg

Edited by Jcb3030

Was nice out today very fishable in every way Can’t wait until the sand crab bite is over hopefully with the coming full moon as most of the crabs are softies