nedakjohn

Kayak fly fishing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Picked up an old Towne 10'6" powered by minn kota. Doing a bunch of back bay fishing for stripers etc. How do I land a fish on a 9ft rod without breaking the rod?  I was lucky on this one?

PXL_20220529_225604685.jpg

1 1/2X rod length line out the tip,bring 'em in:SOP.Less'n that and you can't grab them w/o choking up on the blank...accident waiting to happen.

I typically use a 10' rod but built a couple 8' bcz theyre easier to stash w/o breaking them down,not necessarily any easier to land.

A net makes life a lot easier,esp w/ a 3' handle.

After about 5 years fishing with a 9 foot I finally got a 8 foot 9 weight. The shorter rod makes it easier but still tricky with large or green fish up close. When I get a fish up close I leave plenty of line and leader outside the tip, choke up about a foot on the rod, hold the rod up and out to increase the angle and grab the leader and don’t let go. I then place the rod in the kayak and handle the fish and remove the hook with two hands. It’s not pretty,

good luck and have fun.

bill

2nd the long handled net.  I primarily use a kayak as transportation to a spot where I can wade - fishing out of a kayak is a real goat rope for me. 

Agree with the above statements.  Fishing from the yak,  when I'm on fish and I have him close,  the rod goes behind me and grab line or leader with left hand and start hand retrieving.  Mostly though,  I do what MooreLyon says, kayak to a productive wading area and tie the bow line around my waist and wade fish from there.  

Shorter rod is the way to go.  I have a 7 and 10wt rod that are 8' long.  I fish from a float tube not a kayak but is basically the same problem.  You can pick up a Bass Pro Heat rod that is 8' long for less than $100 if you want to give the concept a try.  I have the 1 piece version (Stage 1 Heat 10wt) that lives on my boat and has caught a lot of fish over the last couple of years.  The rods are nothing to brag about but they get the job done.

I'm jealous of the Powered by MinnKota part :D. My 10.6 Topwater is powered by biceps. Great boat though! 

I don't get mine in salt water often enough but I fish out of it once or twice a week when it's not winter. 

I like a long net. I also like using a 9 footer in a kayak.  I want all the mechanical advantage I can get.  I feel like I loose distance being seated because I'm not able to use all my body mechanics. That's me :why:

Long net, grab the leader. I leave my net in one of the rod holders behind me,  grab it and set it between my legs sometime during the fight, usually once the fish is close and I've got decent control. 

20220424_181715.jpg

On 5/31/2022 at 8:04 PM, MooreLyonQuick said:

2nd the long handled net.  I primarily use a kayak as transportation to a spot where I can wade - fishing out of a kayak is a real goat rope for me. 

I just started getting into fly fishing but have two kayaks, neither of which standing is feasible. So far I've been using it as transportation as well and it works great.

I use the yak attack rotogrip to secure my rod once I get the end of fly line close enough and hand line then in . You don't want to simply lay your rod down in case you lose your grip of the fish or fly line then you might lose your outfit. A  fish gripper tethered to your kayak allows you to take out hook and revive fish while you get camera ready 

Posted (edited)

Anyone ever see the New Flyfisher / Tom Rosenbauer video where he shows a trick that might work?

You have the rod in normal position, with your hand on the grip. A rod length or a little more of flyline out. Then when you're ready, completely release the tension on the line. He claims the line will pop toward you to grab, and then handline the fish in.

It worked for him, anyway.

(Granted these were fish he was stripping in...)

Edited by C. Regalis

Where you fishing Nedakjohn? I see you're in the DMV, I'm new to the area myself, split time between DC and Annapolis.

On 01/06/2022 at 2:38 PM, qecfly said:

Shorter rod is the way to go.  I have a 7 and 10wt rod that are 8' long.  I fish from a float tube not a kayak but is basically the same problem.  You can pick up a Bass Pro Heat rod that is 8' long for less than $100 if you want to give the concept a try.  I have the 1 piece version (Stage 1 Heat 10wt) that lives on my boat and has caught a lot of fish over the last couple of years.  The rods are nothing to brag about but they get the job done.

Why a shorter fly rod for kayak fishing? I've never really understood the logic of this?

I stand to fish so I can see having a shorter rod to deal w high sticking.  

2 hours ago, rrumer4 said:

Where you fishing Nedakjohn? I see you're in the DMV, I'm new to the area myself, split time between DC and Annapolis.

Rehoboth.  Back bays and rivers for stripers on fly.  Tog flounder w spin.  

PXL_20220529_225604685.jpg