passiton

Yellowstone Guide

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The only thing I will add is to take those bear warnings seriously. An experienced guy was killed a few years ago near a stream near a campground north of West Yellowstone. He had stumbled across a griz on a kill site. 

Grizzly bear that killed man and charged rescuers near Yellowstone was likely guarding food, investigators say - CBS News

Have bear spray on your person, conveniently available, and know how to use it.

Edited by Del Gue

On 6/6/2022 at 2:43 PM, Ladyfish said:

There is so much good water in MT and WY you can't fish them all. You can also spend all your time looking for good water so take it slow and easy. Fish near where you are camped whenever possible.

West Yellowstone is at the West Gate. I agree with Blue Ribbon Flies or Bob Jacklin's for a guide. However; there is good DIY fly fishing on the Madison from Baker's Hole Campground. This section of the Madison has a large population of younger trout and they like to feed in the evening! Your Mom might enjoy sitting on the bench, enjoying the beautiful scenery and watching you fish. Sunset can be amazing and no light pollution when the stars come out. Entering YNP at West Yellowstone there is access on your left and then on the right as you are headed towards Madison Junction. (The Firehole and Gibbon form the Madison at Madison Junction.) Fish the Madison side; but watch out for the Elk. The best access is behind the Madison Ranger Station and below the campground. You can also drive a little northwest out of West Yellowstone to get to the Madison River between Cameron and Ennis, MT. Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn is on this route. There is a fishing access above the Quake Lake Dam and you can fish the spillway. Lots of fish there. There is free fishing access all along the Madison from Quake Lake to Ennis. 

The north entrance is Gardiner and after you come into YNP you head east towards Cooke City.  Go past the Lamar to hit Soda Butte. Soda Butte runs along the road (watch for pull-offs) and then meanders back into meadow switchbacks. Gravel bottom, not very wide, easy walk-wade, great scenery and watch out for the buffalo. Slough Creek is just up the road from Soda Butte; but you need to hike into the "meadows". The trail is well-worn; but you need to be bear aware. If you have the time for a guided walk-wade then Slough Creek would be a full day adventure.

We haven't fished near the South Gate. There are fewer amenities close to the park and there are lots of tourists looking for geysers. Fun to visit; but getting into good fishing means going further south into Jackson Hole. Not our favorite part of YNP. 

Great info Ladyfish, seems like YNP are your stomping grounds!!

All gates at YNP closed early this morning due to extensive flooding and road wash-outs. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is seeing heavy damage. Some of the motels have evacuated guests and staff due to flooding. All gates into YNP are closed until at least Tuesday evening. Some areas with damaged roadways and bridges may be closed longer. More rain is predicted for Tuesday. This situation continues to evolve. 

Edited by Ladyfish

I saw a thing that said the Yellowstone river set a flow record of 30,000 cfm in 1918 today it hit 50,000

crazy stuff

15 hours ago, Ladyfish said:

All gates at YNP closed early this morning due to extensive flooding and road wash-outs. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is seeing heavy damage. Some of the motels have evacuated guests and staff due to flooding. All gates into YNP are closed until at least Tuesday evening. Some areas with damaged roadways and bridges may be closed longer. More rain is predicted for Tuesday. This situation continues to evolve. 

Saw that this morning. 

I wonder how long before things get back to “normal”. 

Lots of roads washed out. 

IMHO I don't see YNP being anywhere near the same this year. Those wash outs are in tough areas, and in many cases it's one road in, one road out or it's a loop. I would research carefully before I planned a trip into the park this year. The good news is the Madison River outside the park sounds like it will be fine, and the Gallatin River sounds like it will be okay. Don't sleep on the Gallatin. It's one of the most under-rated rivers in that region. 

Good info already provided. If you want any ideas for spots for the Madison/Gallatin in MT feel free to IM me. Have a great trip. 

As of an update this evening, Yellowstone National Park is closed indefinitely. The northern part of YNP may not open again in 2022. The park road from Gardiner to Cooke City and the main highway from Gardiner to Livingston are heavily damaged and closed indefinitely. The towns of Gardner, Silver Gate and Cooke City have significant damage. Food, water and other supplies will be airlifted into those areas over the next few days. Residents have been told to not drink the water due to damaged sewage & septic systems. YNP is suggesting that those who have travel plans for YNP should reconsider. Access to the park will be limited and reservations (advance tickets) will likely be required.

If you still want to go west this year consider fishing in western Montana, Idaho or Wyoming. 

Years ago, when I traveled and fished that area, the Bighorn was the most impressive. Incredible fishery.

Second best was the Green below Flaming Gorge.

But that was early 1990’s. 

You know the best way to keep people out of your favorite fishing spots in YNP and around West Yellowstone? Tell everyone there's heavy bear activity in that area. Works every time! :D 

Just now, Gilbey said:

You know the best way to keep people out of your favorite fishing spots in YNP and around West Yellowstone? Tell everyone there's heavy bear activity in that area. Works every time! :D 

I think a lot of people avoid the hike to Slough Creek based on that. 

8 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

I think a lot of people avoid the hike to Slough Creek based on that. 

Absolutely! And funny, all the times I was up in the Slough Creek area I never had an issue. On there other hand, there are some places I know on the western side of the park which involve fishing with a major pucker factor. It adds a whole new element to the game. :)

The wildlife that lives in the northern parts of YNP are going to have a great year with no people to "pester" them. Just think about how great the fishing will be next year ;)

On 6/5/2022 at 10:42 PM, passiton said:

We’re camping alternately near the South, North, and Western Gates.  The first night we will be in Grand Teton. 

If you find the time near Jackson, take a walk out on the National Elk refuge and self-guide yourself over to Flat Creek that meanders through the area. Wary fish but cutthroat are in there and you're sight casting to them in super shallow water. That time of year a Dave's Hopper fly would be my go to. These are tricky fish to fool but at least casting is a minimum or nothing more than a flip or roll cast. Feel the breeze blowing across the refuge, smell the sage and enjoy. 

Commercial link removed - Gilbey

Edited by Gilbey

Find someway other than the northside to come in on, it no longer exists after the recent flood, wiped out in multiple places, even if they start work there it would be the slowest access in.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, Gilbey said:

IMHO I don't see YNP being anywhere near the same this year. Those wash outs are in tough areas, and in many cases it's one road in, one road out or it's a loop. I would research carefully before I planned a trip into the park this year. The good news is the Madison River outside the park sounds like it will be fine, and the Gallatin River sounds like it will be okay. Don't sleep on the Gallatin. It's one of the most under-rated rivers in that region. 

Good info already provided. If you want any ideas for spots for the Madison/Gallatin in MT feel free to IM me. Have a great trip. 

I’m going to watch and wait for a

month or two before making any decisions on cancelling or significantly altering our trip. I might take you up on the info for Madison/Gallatin though!