Alferd Packer

Cooling your keepers when walking the beach

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Just a simple question, what do you do to keep your keepers fresh when you’re walking the beach and casting.  Given I’m walking 2 to 4 miles round trip, and several of my spots are accessed by steep unimproved foot paths, an ice chest is a non starter. 

Does anyone have a setup they like? I googled “Fish Bags” and none were suited to the walking fisherman. 

Ideally I’d want something compact when not in use and possibly slung over my shoulder once it has a fish in it. On the flip side, it won’t be more than a couple hours before I could get it on ice. 

Thoughts? Solutions? 

not a lot of good options, i have always buried fish in sand or under seaweed with rocks on top, then pick up on the way back.length of rope or flat webbing for carry back 

3 things needed. Insulated shopping bag/ ice pack/ fat ugly girlfriend who'll do anything to have a boyfriend.

52 mins ago, derekh said:

not a lot of good options, i have always buried fish in sand or under seaweed with rocks on top, then pick up on the way back.length of rope or flat webbing for carry back 

Probably the best option for traveling light.  The only thing I might add is to bleed the fish first.

If one is kind enough to jump on my line and I keep it, I'll end the day there. No reason to continue to do harm and take the risk. 

Posted (edited)

I picked up a backpack cooler which has worked great for keeping my bait fresh, but hasn't had any fish in it yet.  I bought it for bottom fishing and I should be able to keep a limit of Blackfish, Scup, or Flounder in there with some ice.  Probably would have to take my bait containers out and crush those into my tackle bag or strap my bait bucket to the outside once I get some fish in there.  Some smaller Bluefish would fit but a keeper Striped Bass definitely would probably not fit.  I could definitely bring some drinks and a lunch with me, too.  

Edited by gnihsif

4 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

Just a simple question, what do you do to keep your keepers fresh when you’re walking the beach and casting.  Given I’m walking 2 to 4 miles round trip, and several of my spots are accessed by steep unimproved foot paths, an ice chest is a non starter. 

Does anyone have a setup they like? I googled “Fish Bags” and none were suited to the walking fisherman. 

Ideally I’d want something compact when not in use and possibly slung over my shoulder once it has a fish in it. On the flip side, it won’t be more than a couple hours before I could get it on ice. 

Thoughts? Solutions? 

I'll only do this with flounder, as i release everything else.  But i usually carry a long 25' stringer attached to my belt and any keepers i decide to take, i'll attach to the stringer and have them in the water as i'm fishing along :th:

I started using an insulated cooler bag I got at IKEA this past winter and it actually does a pretty decent job and it was cheap enough that I don’t care if it gets ruined. I’ve had a few trout fit inside and I got a pretty big bluefish in it the other night. Has shoulder straps and folds up pretty small.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frakta-cooler-bag-blue-50450378/

6 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Don't keep them. Better eating elsewhere.

True- I might take only 2 or 3 stripers in a season, but there are times where I’m can get ling cod, halibut, and a couple other species. 

5 hours ago, SB59 said:

3 things needed. Insulated shopping bag/ ice pack/ fat ugly girlfriend who'll do anything to have a boyfriend.

The wife has nixed a GF, ugly or not. Otherwise I’m thinking along those lines.

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

I'll only do this with flounder, as i release everything else.  But i usually carry a long 25' stringer attached to my belt and any keepers i decide to take, i'll attach to the stringer and have them in the water as i'm fishing along :th:

Hmmm, a potential option. 

23 mins ago, Rhett said:

I started using an insulated cooler bag I got at IKEA this past winter and it actually does a pretty decent job and it was cheap enough that I don’t care if it gets ruined. I’ve had a few trout fit inside and I got a pretty big bluefish in it the other night. Has shoulder straps and folds up pretty small.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frakta-cooler-bag-blue-50450378/

Thanks for the link. A potential starting point!

Thank you all!

I don't think its possible for what you want. Ice or ice packs perform based on the volume of liquid you are willing to lug around, so even if you find a soft side bag you like, you will still need to load it up super heavy if you want any performance out of it.

I use the water. & it Depends on what I'm keeping.  

Small stuff like scup & sea robins I have a mesh laundry bag with a pool noodle tied to it.  Usually it holds my live bait but I've filled it with fish before.   I tie it to my spike or something and let it float around.  

Bigger stuff I stringer.  I like to run the stringer between the eyes.   Skull keeps it from tearing out. Also keeps them very alive.  

I also pack a insulated shopping bag and always have an icepack for my bait cooler.   So when I pack up.  Fish get bled. Then go in the bag with ice pack.  Once in car, 1st stop is store for ice.  Then they get buried in ice.  

For fluke I have a cheap cooler backpack from Amazon. It works great with one small ice pack in it.

I typically only keep 1 fluke for the table,so the backpack works great. 

Man, looking at this thread during a NY heatwave and the peak of NJ/NY bluefishing...... coolers of spoiled fish everywhere.