pennfishing82

Penn Battle 3 or Daiwa BG

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yes excellent idea. Wish I knew where to find these dividers? 

Inception tackle makes them. I just found out about them too. 

2 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

I bought a battle 3 DX from TD last year. I needed to replace a shimano nasci 4000 I destroyed. Absolutely love it. It's not as smooth as my stradic 5000 but its feels tougher. 

Just be aware of sizes. I ordered a B3 dx 5000 for a 10 ft rod and had to return it. Too big. Stuck with the spheros SWA6000. Line capacity the same but not as 'clunky" feeling on the rod. 

How did you destroy your Nasci? The Hagane gears are pretty tough, maybe the frame flexing or drag washers are shot. 

2 hours ago, pennfishing82 said:

Or I was thinking about finding a used Penn 710 on ebay. Or is a modern reel better??

A modern reel will lay line much better, I.e. spools are braid-ready. The 710 is a tough reel though, it can definitely handle abuse in the surf, but it will feel clunky compared to the new reels with fancy technology, such as Ci4 (Shimano) and Zaion (Daiwa). 

On 5/29/2022 at 5:10 PM, 35ruger said:

What size reel were you interested in ?

The manual bail on the 4500 and up BG was a turnoff for me.

I have the Battle III 5000 and Battle III 6000 on my 8` & 10` surf rods.

Checkout the Penn Conflict II`s also

Most people flip the bail closed manually just before you hit water to ovoid wind knots

46 mins ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

How did you destroy your Nasci? The Hagane gears are pretty tough, maybe the frame flexing or drag washers are shot. 

Fishing off a paddleboard and catching a fair amount of bass/blues. To be honest it was 3/4 yrs old. But still the B3 DX in 3000 fits the Batson 967 perfect and is a tank. Perfect for what I uses it for.  I still like my shimanos especially FW or off the sand.   

2 hours ago, Fish_Magic123 said:

A modern reel will lay line much better, I.e. spools are braid-ready. The 710 is a tough reel though, it can definitely handle abuse in the surf, but it will feel clunky compared to the new reels with fancy technology, such as Ci4 (Shimano) and Zaion (Daiwa). 

I guess that's true. It's like fishing with an old heavy fiberglass rod, or using an old wooden surf board. Or using a wooden tennis racket.

4 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Fishing off a paddleboard and catching a fair amount of bass/blues. To be honest it was 3/4 yrs old. But still the B3 DX in 3000 fits the Batson 967 perfect and is a tank. Perfect for what I uses it for.  I still like my shimanos especially FW or off the sand.   

Gotcha, yeah that makes sense. I killed the gears in my original Battle (crappy pot metal) years ago and haven’t touched one since, but the DX model looks nice and clearly Penn is trying to up their game. 

6 hours ago, Bogey said:

Most people flip the bail closed manually just before you hit water to ovoid wind knots

Thanks for the heads up !

You learn something new every day !

On 6/1/2022 at 8:34 AM, qecfly said:

I have both BG and B3's.  Smaller sizes (3k, 4k) and a new Stradic (4k). Stradic is a bit smoother and lighter.  Otherwise everything is holding up fine.  They live on the boat all summer.  Your use model is different then mine so that affect things.

The BG 4500 and up are a totally different reel than the BG smaller than the 4500, you can look at the weight difference in the specs.

Got Both in 4000 size, great bang for the buck, you'll be happy with either one you get. Battle is smaller

58 mins ago, syi said:

Got Both in 4000 size, great bang for the buck, you'll be happy with either one you get. Battle is smaller

Penn Battle is better just because it is a better reel + Penn's customer service for parts and repair surpasses meager, and, sometimes, non existent, Daiwa customer service in my opinion . I say this after waiting 3 whole months to have my Daiwa BG serviced at my authorized service repair center for just a small part, which Daiwa just hadn't made yet. After two Daiwa repairs on my BG reel, am sticking with Penn from now on.