pennfishing82

Penn Battle 3 or Daiwa BG

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, I am on the fence about buying a penn battle 3, or a Daiwa BG. I know that the Penn battle 3 reels have CNC machined main gears, and the Daiwa BG has cast main gears. I was thinking of going for the CNC machined gears since they will probably last a lot longer than cast gears. I will be using the reel as an all purpose reel. Off the beach, jetty, and Pier. The new Penn pursuit 4 reels now have sealed ball bearings. And I was also thinking maybe splurging and getting a Penn spinfisher. Any tips??

What size reel were you interested in ?

The manual bail on the 4500 and up BG was a turnoff for me.

I have the Battle III 5000 and Battle III 6000 on my 8` & 10` surf rods.

Checkout the Penn Conflict II`s also

Posted (edited)

My BG is smoother than my Stradic. 
I have 2 new (older model) spinfishers that were so hard to crank with weight on them that I stopped using them. 
Shimano or Daiwa  are the only spinning reels I would buy again. 

Edited by ecks
Typo

The Current version of the B 3 is by far the best version  yet. It took many years to get here and for the money is a solid choice. Gears are better and the bearings are better than the BG. This is MHO of course. The BG is no slouche but the bearings in all of my never came close to holding up well to getting wet like the battle. 

4 hours ago, redfin said:

The Current version of the B 3 is by far the best version  yet. It took many years to get here and for the money is a solid choice. Gears are better and the bearings are better than the BG. This is MHO of course. The BG is no slouche but the bearings in all of my never came close to holding up well to getting wet like the battle. 

Yeah, the machined gears and sealed bearings seem like a big plus. The new penn pursuit 4 reels also have sealed bearings like the battles. But they still use cast gears. I guess to keep it at a certain price point. Yesterday, I was at a local tackle shop and was playing around with the penn spinfisher. That reel seemed really nice. After doing research, the battle and spinfisher both have sealed bearings, machined gears, ht100 drags, and full metal bodies. Only difference is that the spinfishers have the fully sealed bodies. Decisions and decisions

Battle 3 with the brass gears is hard to beat. That’s not anything against the BG, it’s got a large cast zinc gear, but I think the Battle 3 is a step above. Also, Penn’s HT-100 drag is very nice in my experience. 

I’d say battle 3. Get the DX model if you can. Very nice reels, especially for the price. Better gear materials for about 10 bucks more than the normal B3. I have never owned a BG but I have used them on charters before and they performed very nicely against stripers and flounder, but for about $30 more you can get the battle dx which is, in my opinion, the best choice for the money. If you can’t get the DX the normal one would work just as well. And if you absolutely can’t go over $100 get the BG, you won’t be disappointed. 

I have 4 Battle III’s, a 1000, 2000, 3000 and 6000. 

Can’t go wrong with the Battles. 

7 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I like a 3 tube bag with pouch in size only and customize it with 1.5 and 2” tubes instead of three,  3” tubes that these bags usually come with. That way I can store one plug per tube. This cuts down on tangles which can be aggravating and happen frequently with the common three tube bag. Very rarely do I find the need to carry more than seven or eight plugs. 

Good advice.  Tube dividers are also an option. 

B50AC767-D68C-45C8-8B57-CF8CB26F7FEC.png

Just now, D1fishr said:

Good advice.  Tube dividers are also an option. 

B50AC767-D68C-45C8-8B57-CF8CB26F7FEC.png

Yes excellent idea. Wish I knew where to find these dividers? 

15 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yes excellent idea. Wish I knew where to find these dividers? 

Steve,  a local shop has them by me.  If interested i can see if they are in stock

I have both BG and B3's.  Smaller sizes (3k, 4k) and a new Stradic (4k). Stradic is a bit smoother and lighter.  Otherwise everything is holding up fine.  They live on the boat all summer.  Your use model is different then mine so that affect things.

I bought a battle 3 DX from TD last year. I needed to replace a shimano nasci 4000 I destroyed. Absolutely love it. It's not as smooth as my stradic 5000 but its feels tougher. 

Just be aware of sizes. I ordered a B3 dx 5000 for a 10 ft rod and had to return it. Too big. Stuck with the spheros SWA6000. Line capacity the same but not as 'clunky" feeling on the rod.