Herefishyfishyyy

Correlation between the number of guides on a rod and quality/performance?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Is there any correlation between the number of guides on a rod relative to the quality/performance?  It seems like more expensive/premium/custom built rods tend to have more guides along the blank or is this pure confirmation bias?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know what you mean. I don’t know if it makes that much of a difference between fewer guides and more guides. Not enough guides can make a problem. I have an ice rod with two guides, a stripper and a tip, and it bends weird and it could use a third guide in between to keep the line against the blank so it bends better. I don’t think more guides would make a problem. I think more guides keeps the line closer to the blank so it bends right. I know it matters with casting rods because if you have too few guides then the line will touch the blank and it will bend weird and could damage the blank (like if you use wire line, it could saw through the blank maybe). So you need more guides for them so the line doesn’t come out of line with the blank. Some custom surf rods only have 5-6 guides on them and they work just fine. Most custom rods I build have 9 guides if you include the tip. They cast really well. The smaller rods have 7 or 8 including the tip. To be honest I’ve never really thought about it. Spinning rods should have at least 6 guides and casting rods should have at least 7 or 8 IMO. Basing those numbers off of a 7’ rod and the tip is included. I don’t think a rod needs more than 9 or 10 guides, with some exceptions, like a crappie rod that’s real whippy with a conventional/casting reel on it. The crappie rod I have has about 16 guides on it and you can use it with a bait caster and you need that much to keep the line straight with the blank. But what the hell do I know.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would think that the rod will put would perform better with more guides on a casting rod  a spinning rod I'm talking about(I think spinning rods have much more of a calculation as to where the guys get placed) casting rods, simply because more aspects of the blank itself are being incorporated into the bend due to the extra guides

On my muskie rod it has 12 guides with the tip and when it bangs the complete then is a perfect Arc instead of having how can I say it?, Then spots in the blank itself where the blank is bearing the brunt of flex all by yourself without a guide being there.

It definitely makes sense at least with a casting rod to have more guides just so that you get the full or a fuller performance of the blank itself.

H⚔️H

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I should clarify that I was strictly referring to spinning rods, but you make an excellent point about about the importance with the quantity and placement of guides on a casting rod. A spinning rod of the same length, action and power may have more guides from one manufacturer and less from another, I have always wondered this since I ventured into the saltwater fishing world. There must be some formula to the madness that only the manufacturers know. I find myself subconsciously counting the guides on the rod from the guy next to me when I’m shore fishing - the more guides I see, I’d automatically associate the rod as a premium grade/custom built rod (now I feel like a total weirdo after typing that out). 

Don’t over think it.

General purpose factory rods are meant to catch you.

More eyes doesn’t mean better performance.

Unless the rod was custom built to a specific reel and line more guides can be negative.

In either case, seen guys catch bigger fish then me on white Walmart rods!

1 hour ago, Herefishyfishyyy said:

I should clarify that I was strictly referring to spinning rods, but you make an excellent point about about the importance with the quantity and placement of guides on a casting rod. A spinning rod of the same length, action and power may have more guides from one manufacturer and less from another, I have always wondered this since I ventured into the saltwater fishing world. There must be some formula to the madness that only the manufacturers know. I find myself subconsciously counting the guides on the rod from the guy next to me when I’m shore fishing - the more guides I see, I’d automatically associate the rod as a premium grade/custom built rod (now I feel like a total weirdo after typing that out). 

The guides are meant to well, guide your main line as it comes off your spool (with secondary considerations being stuff like load distribution, rod torque, and sensitivity). The amount and size of the guides is dependent on what type of line you use as mainline (the manner in which your main line moves going up your rod will effect distance and accuracy). The classic setup is "cone of flight" but with modern fishing tech other guide designs have emerged.