NHNH

Swivel or knot

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I use braid to a 2' fluoro leader and connect the lines with a swivel or a knot. Of course swivels prevent line twist but when do I really need them? With what lures/baits can I just go with a knot and with which should I use a swivel? I have also heard some swivels can reduce the action of some lures particularly if very close on ie a swivel snap. 

So basically my question is, when (which lures) should I avoid the swivel and when should I have it and I will assume everything else is neutral.  

I'd probably tie an FG knot with everything.  Can't think of an occasion when I'd prefer a swivel, other than fishing in the dark, breaking off, and wanting to take the easy way out instead of tying a new FG.

You don’t need a swivel and the downside is when you accidentally wind in too far the swivel hits the rod tip. Eventually maybe cracking it. 

FG knot and then pre tied leaders with swivels in quick in dark changes.

If you are concerned about line twist with say Kastmaster then swivel to split ring on lure and continue on. 

If a lure is recommended to have a swivel it will come with one from the manufacturer. For example, the Luhr Jensen  Krocodile. 
Other than that a swivel is just personal preference for ease of use.

You can use a snap with any lure instead of a knot although other fisherman might judge you for it. :) 

I use a knot always. Have had swivels fail twice (manufacturing defect I think).

On my surf rod, I use heavier line and leaders and like a swivel, especially when fishing at night and changing leaders is inevitable. Leaders are usually short too.

On my boat rods I’m using lighter line and leaders and typically like a longer leader so I’ll use a knot.

All depends on the rig and situation. 

I tend to always use a swivel and pre-tied leaders.  I find tying leader material onto the braid on the beach (especially at night) and do it right without overlapping wraps, etc very difficult.  Add to the mix wind and even a simple knot like a uni-uni is challenging.  The other reason is that I like to replace the leader as soon as there are any nick of abrasion on it (especially if the nick were cause by blues). Attaching the leader to the braid with a simple Paloma’s knot makes the swap a breeze

I like to use leaders between 2' - 3' have always used Spro  #10 swivels. I almost exclusively use braid line with mono/flouro leaders and never have any doubts or failures with connections. You just MUST be sure not to reel it thru tip top guide, no need with shorter leaders. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my mo.

The only time I use a swivel is with a lure that spins. Crocodile’s, Kastmaster’s and most tins. And then, as someone else stated, I put the swivel on the lure. Always tie my leaders. Usually with an FG knot. I like to use a long, 6-10’ leader so I have some mono to grab onto if I need to when landing a fish. Either a Uni/Uni or a FG knot. Sure it takes a minute or two longer but I don’t have to worry about a swivel ruining my guides. Take the time to learn an FG and you will be able to tie it in under two minutes. Just my 2 cents. 
Mike