float finish

Ospreys

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

I live along the Toms River&frequent the areas along the bay. Definitely an absence of nesting ospreys&sightings  in comparison to recent years. Curious about other areas. Hope they are not in decline again. Awesome birds.

7 hours ago, float finish said:

I live along the Toms River&frequent the areas along the bay. Definitely an absence of nesting ospreys&sightings  in comparison to recent years. Curious about other areas. Hope they are not in decline again. Awesome birds.

I've seen only a couple and they were small, it's like I haven't seen any adult birds but definitely a lot less than in the previous years previous 5 years also a lot of nests are empty.

I will say this I've seen a lot more red tail hawks around adult Red tails it's like I see them every single day now multiple times a day also.

H⚔️H

4 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I've seen a lot more red tail hawks around

I noticed that, too, in my area.

4 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

also a lot of nests are empty.

Two nest around me are empty.

Those were occupied  last year.

6 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I noticed that, too, in my area.

Two nest around me are empty.

Those were occupied  last year.

Around here it's like the red tails took over and they fight savagely, very territorial esp this time of year.

H⚔️H

Had three of them flying around me this am.  Wasn’t paying them any mind when one must have saw something it liked in the water behind me.  It took a belly flop about 10’ behind me.  Scared the crap out of me, I wet my waders a bit lol. 

11 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Around here it's like the red tails took over and they fight savagely, very territorial esp this time of year.

H⚔️H

The eagles run them off too,,,,,,:D

20220507_154744.jpg

2 hours ago, bennie said:

The eagles run them off too,,,,,,:D

20220507_154744.jpg

I didn't know that but I kind of figured they would cuz they like run off everything.

The osprey leaves me puzzled because I think they're native to the South America?, So why the hell would they fly all the way up the coast like that to here just to have babies?.

H⚔️H

They're migratory so I would think wherever they migrate to is a native area.  Breed up north, winter in the south.  Maine has a good population. 

Watch your topwaters, I had one grab a spook and drop it after realizing it wasn't food.  That could've been disastrous. 

6 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Watch your topwaters, I had one grab a spook and drop it after realizing it wasn't food.  That could've been disastrous. 

I had loons chase my lures all the way to the kayak...definitely one of my worst nightmares - I love those dumb birds!

2 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I didn't know that but I kind of figured they would cuz they like run off everything.

The osprey leaves me puzzled because I think they're native to the South America?, So why the hell would they fly all the way up the coast like that to here just to have babies?.

H⚔️H

There is an area I fish that eagles systematically prey on ospreys with fish.