JTR

Chickens

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Who here raises chickens? We have some arriving next week. Plymouth rocks, Rhode Island Reds and Buff Orpingtons. We’re pretty much winging it. We have a brooder setup, a chicken house and run on our property, and that’s about it. From what I’ve heard, it’s pretty easy - but I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be a lot of problems that arise that the mrs. blows out of proportion.

Make sure you have some type of netting above or a cover. My moms chicken was taken out by a hawk, tried to come back for the others too.

Predators are always an issue. 

Rats are the hardest to control.  

You will lose birds, sometimes they just die.   

Keep the coop as clean as possible.   Wear a mask when u clean. The dust can be problematic.  

Water is very important and alotta work in the winter. 

Can't think of anything else ATM,   but they're wicked fun and I enjoyed them alot.   Wish I could have them again someday.  

We have some. Had had them on and off for a few years. Low maintenance. 

Probably a 7 days a week effort, neighbors behind me had them, maybe 6, no noise, no smells. Better than a barking dog.

All my neighbors have chickens, and cleaning the pens aside, they seem like no big deal.

Plenty of eggs, no noise.  But you do understand they don't lay unlimited amounts of eggs.  As they get older, their egg production drops off.  When that happens, it's fried chicken time.

Just lost our last four to a coyote or fox.  They are relatively easy but still work.   Have to water and feed in winter.  Clean coop.    Etc.   But I enjoyed them and miss having chickens.   We kept them in a coop and guard fenced in area most of the time but would let them run free when around on a weekend.   They are fun and become pets.  And they know when to go back to coop once it gets dark.    I suggest solar closing coop door.   We bought ours 3-4 years ago.  Maybe $125?  Can’t remember but best dollars we ever spent.   Open is AM and closes at night.   Saves you a lot of time and effort. 

Get a heated water bowl, add chopped garlic and apple cider vinegar to your chicken water(little bit)every now an then and keep a night light in yer henhouse.

1 min ago, oldgoat said:

Get a heated water bowl, add chopped garlic and apple cider vinegar to your chicken water(little bit)every now an then and keep a night light in yer henhouse.

Why the garlic and vinegar?  Mediterranean chickens?

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

Why the garlic and vinegar?  Mediterranean chickens?

Damn that was funny.     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Almost spit coffee on my keyboard.   

Not bad to take care of. I built a relatively predator proof coop and run that can handle 8 chickens. We’ve only had a max of 6. But my wife feels bad, and let’s them out in the fenced in yard everyday. Hawks and one bald eagle has taken their share. According to my wife their abbreviated lives were happier ones…

Any way I lined the floor of the coop with old linoleum so clean up is super easy with nothing sticking. A 4 inch pvc T with holes cut out is what I use for a feeder. It stays relatively clean and the “stand pipe” holds enough food for about 4 days with 6 chickens. I also use a 5 gallon bucket with one inch pvc and poultry nipples for the waterer. This lasts over a week with 6 chickens but obviously not a solution for the winter. Winter watering is the biggest PIA of the whole operation. My coop is too far from the house to send electricity out there.

Any good recommendations for a battery operated waterer?