Clams_Martini

Last (?) Rod Build

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just wanted to show my finished rebuild of a vintage Honey Lami rod I’ve owned since about 1976. Purchased as a 9 ft rod back then, but over the first few years it was fished hard and I broke a piece or two off the tip and trimmed the butt a little too. It sits at 7’ 5” and I have re wrapped it now 3 times. I think this one will last me until I paddle off the edge eventually. I like it. I really wanted to give it the look and feel of the rod I purchased years ago at Goose Hummock. I have other more modern gear too, but this really is a fun rod to fish. I use it inshore bass, blues, harbors, etc. I put the custom decal on it to give it some provenance with a tip of the cap to where it came from. Thx for look’n.

690183B9-767C-4D9B-AECC-1FD427BAA201.jpeg

5156B178-2449-4602-A414-D22A778DA286.jpeg

715230D7-FCC5-4295-A80B-FFA1A27047B4.jpeg

9B815082-687B-4941-B13F-86730264A28C.jpeg

Edited by Clams_Martini
Tried to add a short vid and it failed

1 hour ago, derekh said:

is that guide missing a inner ring? or just look like it has sharp edges.

No… not missing a ring. I used Pac Bay Minima guides in stainless. The rings are double swaged into the frames.

Nice job.  Over the years, I've broken a couple of graphite fly rods and converted them into spinning rods.  Last year, I converted a 9'  10 wgt Fenwick fiberglass rod I picked up at a flea market for $10 into a spinning rod.  Basically, I just removed the rear grip, reel seat and fore grip which took about 18 inches off the length.  It came out decently.  Doesn't look near as good as yours does.

Thank you for all the looks, likes, and comments. My wife and I have been battling Covid for the past couple weeks and posting up my project rod was a good diversion. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, bassmaster said:

I have a 1083 honey blank 9 footer

Been sittin in wash room for close to 30 years

In the most recent decades since when it was used exclusively, mine sat in a corner most of the time too. Before this rebuild I had used the guides I could find locally, which were black Fuji with shock rings and ceramic inserts. It had a Fuji plate style seat wrapped on too and there was really nothing light or comfortable about it. I used it less and less. We downsized a few years ago. As I whittled down the amount of tackle I amassed over the years, I still kept this Lamiglas knowing that it was destined for a more thoughtful rebuild. Last year I ran across an account on Instagram called Light Tackle Lounge. This guy (named Tom stephens) builds beautiful rods and uses a lot of fiberglass and metal guides. Seriously inspirational rods with gorgeous wraps that he sells to charter guys, pro guys, regular guys like me, and in every weight class from tarpon to trout. Not shilling for him, I don’t know him, but if you have a glass blank.. and want to redo it?… seeing work like that (and the work on this board frankly) really gets me motivated. Mine is like a 1st grade finger painting in comparison, but I did restore the original look, and make it lighter and made it comfortable in-hand. It will sit in the corner no more.

Edited by Clams_Martini

Looks great to me, it would be cool to wrap the blank.

I have a 1083 arra i need to strip the 90,s guides off of,  weighs a ton with them old school guides.

I like less so nothing fancy for me.

Want to strip the cork off and shrink wrap it then tape. on the fugi reel seat maybe.

I had my xra 1322 redone, i have the very 1st run of those rods way back when.

Made it spinning,  i been using it with my century this year. Also had my 1204 xra re-done.   Modernized. 

Totally different rods, more crisp

First: beautiful work !  I guess this is the Lamiglass MB 108 3 M. My favorite Lami. I owned , built about 8 of them and still have a few blanks. My absolute favorite is the S glass MB 108 3M and 2 F. Thank you again ( to remind me of this blank and to use it ).