Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

The famous Boca inlet eats up a million dollar boat

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

It's like the breachways in Rhody, you have to power up to get through, the guys in the Freeman backed off once they cleared, they didn't seem too sharp all around. 

It's been very clearly documented on **** that they had a mechanical failure at a very inopportune time.  It's a steering issue that those Mercury's are notorious for.  

Call the adjuster....Is what it is.

Always have the anchor ready to go. First thing to do.  I would have thrown it as far off the port side as possible then pulled like hell. 

God that's hard to watch. Loved watching the guy holding the line the fire Dept threw to him like he'd be able to hold onto a 3 (?) ton boat. Why didn't he tie it off? And once they got in trouble captain should have ordered all in life jackets. Probably a new CC (covid captain) or a new boat, but they sure didn't look like they had any idea what to do. 

3 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Always have the anchor ready to go. First thing to do.  I would have thrown it as far off the port side as possible then pulled like hell. 

From the video looks like it happened too fast to respond like that. 

58 mins ago, Good2Go said:

From the video looks like it happened too fast to respond like that. 

It was about 5 min before they threw anchor. I liked the pushing off rocks with fishing rods. Agree on captain covid.

7 hours ago, Cpalms said:

It's been very clearly documented on **** that they had a mechanical failure at a very inopportune time.  It's a steering issue that those Mercury's are notorious for.  

Call the adjuster....Is what it is.

True, but if they’d been going a touch slower they could’ve stayed off the jetty.  Obviously bad luck not exactly the operators fault, but again a little less speed they’d still have been able to enter and much much better chance this would’ve been avoidable.  I’m definitely a bit bias as I’m sick and tired of dealing with these big fast boats being driven recklessly by covid captains.  Imagine if there was a small slower boat exiting other side of channel in their path? Or a kayak just inside of the jetty they couldn’t see if they’d made that turn?  I think a lot of folks on the water have just seen too much reckless operation and assume it’s ok.  Glad nobody got hurt and maybe they learned a lesson.

Should have put left motors in reverse and right motors forward … then used the motors forward and reverse to steer (much like a tank)

Monday quarterbacking …

I dont know if todays 6 engine setups allow for that. Seems like everything should be run off one control otherwise you could wind up with 1 prop turning slower than the rest creating drag. 

7 hours ago, Africaster said:

Should have put left motors in reverse and right motors forward … then used the motors forward and reverse to steer (much like a tank)

Monday quarterbacking …

Even throwing them hard to port and backing hard....bow would have taken some lumps, but for sure no more than it ended up with.

Solutions are easy on Mondays!