Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Best for casting or overall usability? Best casting at 30/20/15/10 is really the question. Because within reason going from 30 down to 10 will return more benefits to casting than any other difference. 

I use 30 lbs 832 on my Gosa. That’s my choice for strength and it’s smooth. Not too wispy to be wind knot prone. 

I think there is some very expensive braids out there that could be considered 

The "best".

I never used any I just use the 832 and it's my go too.

It knots and casts very well and that's good enough for me. 

i have always used power pro or yo-zuri super braid. just received some ghotda 0.8 - 25lbs  and JOF 1.0 - 30 lbs 12 strand made in japan . super smooth thinner and strong ! had a chance to test yesterday very windy ! no problems ! hold them side by each they make power pro look like knitting yarn !

I've used 832, spiderwire, powerpro and Diamond braid. Previously used 832 for over 10 years but I have Diamond on all my larger reels now and spiderwire on the smaller ones.

• 832 is good and lasts for years, no knot slippage, color fades and coating loss causing the line to get limper the more it's used
  • Spiderwire is also good but slippery so test your knot before fishing because you might need to either change the type of knot or add more turns. seems to hold up well year after year
  • Powerpro is a little cheaper, easy to find, good knot strength but some have found the breaking strength varies
  • Diamond braid is also slippery, has the best abrasion resistance and still will look new after a year of fishing
  • Hercules (bought on Amazon) total crap! strong smell and feels like mason line

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Spectra lines like 832 are more abrasion resistant and great for saltwater applications while the 8 stand Dyneema Braids like Daiwa J-Braid 8X are smooth, slick, and work great for Freshwater spin fishing, especially when you want more casting distance with light lures.

Edited by Long Wader

38 mins ago, Long Wader said:

The Spectra lines like 832 are more abrasion resistant and great for saltwater applications while the 8 stand Dyneema Braids like Daiwa J-Braid 8X are smooth, slick, and work great for Freshwater spin fishing, especially when you want more casting distance with light lures.

Would you say I should not expect any casting improvements by switching to 832? I am basically at the point where I need to buy new braid and I thought maybe give it a try - although I'm completely happy with J braid.

52 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Would you say I should not expect any casting improvements by switching to 832? I am basically at the point where I need to buy new braid and I thought maybe give it a try - although I'm completely happy with J braid.

You will not get the same distance with 832 IMO. You will get more casting distance with J-braid 8x and I use it for maximum casting distance when fishing for species like Fat Alberts on the beach or boat when I don't need maximum abrasion resistance. I use Spectra lines when I am fishing around jetties, docks, rocks and bridges.

Its a trade off: 8 stand Dyneema lines give you great casting distance and good abrasion resistance and Spectra line give you good casting distance with great abrasion resistance.

It depends on which is most important for the type of fishing you plan to do.

I have used both 832 and J-Braid 8X for years and I have also found that some Spectra lines like 832 tend to flatten out and fuzz more than J-braid once their coating wears off. Many of the Spectra lines depend on coatings to make them smoother and rounder and when it wears off they tend to flatten out and while that is not a problem with bait casting tackle it causes more line twist with spinning tackle and tends to weaken the line at the leader knot.

Edited by Long Wader

I honestly use something called kast King from Amazon. Super cheap and I've never ever had an issue. Maybe something fancy like 832 will get you an extra couple feet but I personally don't think it matters much

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

14 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I've been using j braid x8 and I think it's fantastic. Is there a benefit going to sufix 832 at 30lb? What's the best casting braid in your opinion?

Abrasion resistance. 

I love Jbraid grand and use it on most of my reels but it is not very abrasion resistant. Braid in general is not, but Jbraid is so soft that it feels great on your casting finger but even terrible at abrasion.

suffix 832 is good  imo, it’s feels coarse and wire like compared to jbraid, loses color quicker but lasts well.

Jbraid is best casting in my opinion. 

Edited by superuser

braid has almost no abrasion resistance.. if it touches rocks under pressure it's gone.. most are pretty much the same about that unless they have a specific coating on them but once coatings are gone the braid usually casts horrible. 832 and x9 have been good so far

Edited by Snook_Slayr

So I kept on getting my tip wrapped while jigging and casting bucktails for fluke. The 10lb 832 was seemingly a bit soft, so I spooled the Stradic 4000  with 8lb Spiderwire Fused and the tip wraps stopped, but yesterday in a strong wind and tide was working a large fish to the boat with said braid when it parted. Never saw the fish, think it's back to the 832    832  has been my go to braid (up to 80lb for offshore), for a long time  and it really is a superior braid., not perfect, but very good.