ecks

Line snaps/clips

20 posts in this topic

For freshwater fishing I always tied my lure directly to my line. That’s the way the bass pros did it and what I read in magazines. Fast forward 40 years and I’m watching these Japanese Mountain Trout fishermen tossing light lures with 4 lb test and they’re all using decent sized snaps. I guess the snap doesn't deter bites.  What’s your thoughts on using snaps all the time? It would sure save a lot of leader cutting and time. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Clips for me.  Mini TA clips for larger lmb lures.  Various other clips for the lighter stuff, usually doulock style.

I even twist my spinnerbaits to loop the end so I can use a clip

Edited by Captain Ahab

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

BTW. Do a search for Scooby-Doo posting on the clips he uses or tries.  As always honest reviews and tricks

Thx I will. I’ve watched most of his reel stuff. 

13 mins ago, ecks said:

Thx I will. I’ve watched most of his reel stuff. 

Scooby is great at sharing info and his experiences.  He may be the only good person in NJ

Lol

5 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I even twist my spinnerbaits to loop the end so I can use a clip

I don’t know why spinnerbaits aren’t made to be more snap friendly. 

19 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I agree.  I hate when you pop off a great cast and the line slides down

Even with a loop end the clip still gets backwards some times

38 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

It changes the vibration/frequency when you close the loop, esp thin wire baits those extra twists can also weaken the arm. 

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

It changes the vibration/frequency when you close the loop, esp thin wire baits those extra twists can also weaken the arm. 

Now I know why! Lol! Thanks for the explanation…I wonder how much it would change the hook up ratio though. It would be an interesting experiment to test both types to find out.

56 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

Now I know why! Lol! Thanks for the explanation…I wonder how much it would change the hook up ratio though. It would be an interesting experiment to test both types to find out.

Re thin wire vs thick wire and different blade configs etc, it's more a matter of getting bit than hook up ratio. Thin wire with thin willow blades emit tremendous vibration, downside is the bait becomes semi-disposable. 

Some people just buy w/e booyah is on sale and go fishing; some have boxes of fragile, thin wired JDM baits that break after a few big fish. I wish my fish are more prone to eating spinnerbaits...I really miss that bite. 

2 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Re thin wire vs thick wire and different blade configs etc, it's more a matter of getting bit than hook up ratio. Thin wire with thin willow blades emit tremendous vibration, downside is the bait becomes semi-disposable. 

Some people just buy w/e booyah is on sale and go fishing; some have boxes of fragile, thin wired JDM baits that break after a few big fish. I wish my fish are more prone to eating spinnerbaits...I really miss that bite. 

I retrieve my spinnerbaits so slow that I doubt vibration even comes into play.  I even remove all of the blades and replace them with a single willow blade and cut the arm in half so that they run deeper.

I use black color swivels in stained water. The brass color in clear water. but thats just me. I dont think it makes a difference to the fish seeing it. I use clips in every type of fishing. It helps avoid line twist & adds weight for when your casting. That little swivel will make a world of difference when you using lite line. I use 3# braid when UL fishing