Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Tales and Lies From SSP, NJ

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

So, having the car all packed up the night before expect for a few last minute things, I got in the SILVER Volvo at about 5:30 AM on Thursday.....no matter what time I left (unless it was about 2 AM), I knew I was gonna get screwed in traffic SOMEWHERE in CT or NYC.....

The first hour and a half of driving was pleasant, other than a pretty good downpour going thru RI that slowed me down a bit.....but once I hit New London, there was blue sky on the western horizon, and the rain let up and was then gone....

As expected, I sat in traffic for about 20-30 minutes just north of New Haven in the construction zone, and then hit back-ups as I reached every other city in CT.....Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford (in fact, the traffic was all the way from Norwalk thru Stamford.... rolleyes.gif ), so I lost a good hour and a half in CT......

As I approached the "split", WINS 1010 and CBS 880 were saying the the westbound Cross Bronx X-Way was no picnic, either, so I opted for the Tappen Zee Route.....

Hit a bit more traffic on the GSP down around Newark/Union, but after that it was smooth sailing again.

After stopping for gas and beer in Point Pleasant, and a few other supplies in the A&P in Seaside Heights, I checked in to IBML at about 12:15.

The wind was whipping pretty briskly out of the WSW, which I wasn't too happy about. Called da wife to let her know I arrived safely, unloaded the car and got things organized for the week, headed back out to get the plugging reel loaded up with some new Power Pro and made a quick scout of the beach in Seaside Park......but since it was high tide and the WSW winds had the surf knocked down pretty good, I couldn't get a good "read"....

Came back and made a few more phone calls to find out people's plans....and just relaxed for a bit to unwind from the drive and throw back a couple cold ones.

By that time it was Happy Hour, so headed across the street to get something to eat, which ended up being half a dozen hot wings and a cheesesteak, for a grand total of $7 (not counting the beer). smile.gif

Talking with Arby and KoQ on the phone earlier, both were to meet me there that evening. Mike came by about 5 or so, and we enjoyed some good conversation. Somewhere around 6, Ron walked thru the door, and we all sat and exchanged stories for a couple hours.....

The wind was still whipping when we left, and I was pretty tired, so I decided to skip any fishing that night and headed back to the room to watch some TV and get some rest so I could meet up with Mr. Lippen early on Friday morning......

Should be real good tonight. Good luck! icon14.gif

cwm27.gif I'm sure it will, since I'm now 300 miles to the north.... redface.gif

(Psssttt......when I said "Thursday", I was talking about last Thursday..... wink.gif )

Quote from Steve:

"By that time it was Happy Hour, so headed across the street to get something to eat, which ended up being half a dozen hot wings and a cheesesteak, for a grand total of $7 (not counting the beer)."

Steve, the Rachel Ray of SOL. Food is always mentioned. At least he's not drinking water with lemon as a way of saving money. HappyWave.gif

Steve, the Rachel Ray of SOL. Food is always mentioned.

cwm27.gif

At least he's not drinking water with lemon as a way of saving money. HappyWave.gif

cwm13.gif ......Guess you don't know me very well.... tongue.gifwink.gif .....(30 pack of Coors Extra Gold cans is only about $13.50..... redface.gifwink.gif )

Anyway......Ben Lippen knocked on my door promptly at 5:10 Friday morning, and we went out to throw plugs in a nearby spot that will remain nameless......

We did such for about 2 hours, without a sniff.....throwing about everything we had. As we were walking off, ran into another SOL'er (and though we had also met briefly at the Food Fling, and he shook my hand and re-introduced himself again Friday morning, I unfortunately didn't quite catch who he was....sorry, but I'm terrible with names....... redface.gif ).

Ben and his buddy had to head off to work, so I decided to go feed some clams to the crabs for a few hours by myself somewhere in SSP......and didn't get a touch, with the clams mysteriously disappearing after about 5-10 minutes in the water.....went thru half a dozen, without a tap, other than from the crabs.....

On the way back, I swung by the "Poor Boys" in Seaside Heights with the intention on getting a very large sub sandwich to throw in the fridge for those late-night hunger pangs....but to my dismay, the building had been leveled, and they were putting up some new condos on the spot..... mad.gif

I had also heard thru the grapevine that my good friend Ma Taylor, who I always visited at Bum's on the weekend mornings for the best Bloody Marys and pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwiches ANYWHERE, no longer was employed there.....which I wasn't happy about, as seeing Ma is always one of the highlights of my trip.....

But as chance would have it, upon making the left into the motel parking lot, I spied the sign in front of the Berkeley Seafood Market/Bar, and it said "Breakfast with Mom Taylor at 8 AM on Saturday and Sunday"......

After putting away the gear, I walked over and asked the barkeep there if it was indeed THE "Ma Taylor", and he assured me that it was......and although they had never done breakfast before, when they heard she was available, they scooped her up faster than the Eagles would scoop up Tom Brady....... wink.gif

And all was right in the world again........... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif ...........

Alrighty, where was I?.....Oh yeah.....

Chief500 got off work early Friday, and pulled into the parking lot at about noontime.....when he tried to check-in, the room wasn't ready, so since he was hungry, we headed across the street so he could get some lunch (mine was liquid, as I was gonna wait for Happy Hour to eat) to waste a bit of time until his room was ready. He ordered up a bowl of beef stew that he said was outstanding.

After he polished that off and I finished my beer, we went back, and he was able to check in. In the meantime, I checked my voice mails and talked to the guy in the room next to me, and both said similar things......that the fish were on the beach pretty big in the SFZ, and also here and there right near us.....

So I walked up to Andy's room, told him, said "How much time ya need, fish are supposedly on the beach NOW?", and he threw his stuff on the bed, put on his waders, and we hopped in his truck and headed just a bit north in search.....(though not all the way to the SFZ)...

We casted in north SSP for about an hour and a half without a touch......and then headed back to the motel.

A few minutes after we got back, Charleston pulled up, as did Glub......the 4 of us stood around and BS'd for awhile, ate some pepper shooters that I had brought with me, drank a few cold ones, and saw Mike McG coming off the beach. Mike hadn't gotten anything, either. Charleston was kind enough to hand out some of his "bluefish bombs" to all of us..... icon14.gif

By then it was Happy Hour, so Bill, Mario and I went across the street to get some eats.....Chief had to unpack his stuff that was spread across the bed upon our earlier quick departure in search of the non-existant fish that were reported, and then went out front to catch the "bite" at dusk.

Mario wasn't feeling so well, so he headed home after a beer or two. Bill and I stuck around awhile and gabbed, and Chief came back for a quick bite and a beer. Andy said that he had two fish at about 31", and Mike McG had one about the same size......Andy was a bit PO'd, but I'll let HIM tell the story why, if he so chooses.... wink.gif

Somewhere around 6:30-7:00, we called it a nite, as Charleston had to get back home. I forget what Chief did (perhaps headed to LBI to meet up with Otter?)

I went back to my room, got in touch with Rick7, and I drove up to meet him on the beach up his way....

We casted plugs for about an hour and a half in the dark, again without a touch, and then we called it a night around 10 PM.....

Went back to the room, made plans for the morning with Chief and Mario, ate a can of sardines, had another beer, and took some vitamins while watching TVFN for a bit, and then hugged a pillow for a few hours.........

sorry we didnt hook up steve. i had PMed chief about friday night, he said you guys were coming down then lost his cell phone. i called a couple times before heading out, ya didnt miss much. 1 fish and dropped another. no size

Oh, and sorry.....(wouldn't want to dissapoint Darth Baiter tongue.gifwink.gif ).....Friday night at Bum's I had another 6 hot wings and a bacon cheesburger, medium rare with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and catsup, which was awesome, again for a grand total of $7, not including the beer and the tip....

Steve you're the best. kiss.gif I drove past the infamous Volvo, now silver, at the motel on my way to IBSP on Sat. I didn't have the guts to stop and see if you were home and introduce myself. After all the ribbing I've given you about fishing stories that always focus on food, not fish. Perhaps this spring we can meet and enjoy Happy Hour at Bum's. I've lived in Lavallette for 20 years and have never been in Bum's. Now let's get back to the fishing, um I mean eating. Your stories are always riveting. clapping.gif

DB; Never! Ever! drive by and not stop to introduce yourself. Steve is a great guy.

BTW, Steve did you ever meet that guy jibike or whatever his name is?

Darth......my door at IBML is ALWAYS open (both figurativly, and at most times when I'm at the room, literally).....so you are always welcome to knock on it anytime you want..... smile.gif

Bill.....no, didn't run across him frown.gif , although a few guys tried with cell messages plenty of times over the weekend/week....