akozols

10 foot kayak for back bay??

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

For the past 5 years I've been using a Field and Stream Eagle Talon12.  It's a 12 ft kayak that weighs close to 70lbs.  I've used it for freshwater, day and night and backbay behind Ocean City, NJ drifting for flounder during the day and fishing the bridges at night.  It's a fishing machine, but it's a heavy beast.  During the Summer, the kayak is always on top of my car.    Most of my Summer fishing is going to Marsh Creek after work and fishing into the night.  I wanted a kayak that was light and easy to load and unload in the dark.  I got a Pelican Blitz fishing kayak.  It's 10ft long and 30" wide.  I took it out on a lake once to try it out.  Super easy to load, handled great, but a bit sluggish.

Now I'm wondering it it's suitable to take into the back bay.  I think I'll launch in a quiet spot in the back and see how it handles current and passing boats before I take it to my usual spots.

Anyone else use a 10 footer in the back?

Thanks,

Al

Do you have a lot of crap on the Talon12? The Tarpon 120 that it's a clone of is more like 60#. That said, get in any wind whether in a lake or back bay and that sluggish 10 footer will make you hate it. If it were me, and this is what I did, I'd keep an eye out for a used thermoplastic kayak like a Caribbean or Skimmer. They're made of material similar to ABS, rather than Polyethylene, and are much lighter, if potentially more fragile. My Caribbean 14 is 50#, fast as hell, and easy to throw up on the roof.

Posted (edited)

If I'm launching around the corner from my house at the Ocean City Bayside Center I fish a Tarpon 120.

If I'm loading on the roof and travelling I have a Perception Tribe 9.5

I'm 6'1 and 200 pounds.  The tribe 9.5 works great for paddling and fishing.  Its a little cramped for space but I have a good seat in it and it is a very stable kayak.

Perception_Tribe_9.5_Seaspray_Comp.png?w

Wilderness_systems_Tarpon_120_Mango.png.

Edited by mako capt

Thanks for the replies.  The hull weight of the Talon is 68lbs, and there are some mounts and a fishfinder installed.  I install the heavy stuff after it's off the car.  I'm going to keep the Blitz on top of the car all Summer for my after work trips at the local lake.  I'll keep the Talon for my saltwater adventures.

I have an Old Town Sportsman 106, without the pedal drive, and it works very well for me, although it weighs about 85 lbs, it can carry a ton, and is super stable.

Not sure about a budget but I've heard very good things about the hobie lynx and it only weighs 50lbs.