iwantmypie

Cut Hooks on Plugs

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

What i find amazing is, with all the people that cut hooks for plugs, they should really come cut from VMC. 

 

Gary - you ever try mustard 9430 on your plugs?  

2nd for open eye 4X VMCs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut VMC belly hooks and split rings on tail hooks. I believe that the split ring helps the tailhook tuck in close to the body for better casting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2022 at 6:13 AM, SC said:

Rig the SAME exact plug both with and without split rings and notice the difference in action. The answer becomes more apparent when you stop thinking of split rings primarily as a means of connecting two things together and realize every change changes everything

I should probably just do this...and find out for myself...but can you please give a specific example of what you mean?

 

I've always removed the split rings and factory hooks from my non-custom plugs/lures (cause split rings fail and factory hooks suck), and I catch tons of fish on cut VMCs...Your post either implies that removing the split ring and changing the hooks negatively impacts the swimming motion of the plug (which in my experience is false) , OR, that doing so improves the swimming motion, in which case the manufacturers should just remove the split rings and add cut VMCs at the factory...

 

One simple example is SPs...as everyone knows, they come with ****** split rings and hooks...and most also come with a split ring on the nose. The very first thing I do when I open a SP is remove all that crap and put on cut VMCs...and I've never noticed that the SP swims worse or catches fewer fish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of hook eyes and cutting off hooks.  I use smallish side nippers to cut off one hook from a treble.  Always avert your human eyes to the side as you start bearing down on the nippers.  Sometimes when I've cut off a hook I've had the hook point fly off like a shot and land feet away.!  Don't have that " shot" hit your eyes... only bad things will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like cut hooks as long they are on a swivel, on the rear I like to use a split ring for more moveability during a fight with a fish.  One of the other reason's I use a split ring as well is because of the people that use my plugs sometimes don't have the tools or know how to cut a hook properly.  It is a lot easier for them to open up a split ring and change hooks.  I have never had a one of my split rings fail, just make sure you get high quality SS that are strong.  I made myself a jig to open up hooks but as a builder you have to understand that not everyone has that tool and know how.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mojua said:

I should probably just do this...and find out for myself...but can you please give a specific example of what you mean?

 

I've always removed the split rings and factory hooks from my non-custom plugs/lures (cause split rings fail and factory hooks suck), and I catch tons of fish on cut VMCs...Your post either implies that removing the split ring and changing the hooks negatively impacts the swimming motion of the plug (which in my experience is false) , OR, that doing so improves the swimming motion, in which case the manufacturers should just remove the split rings and add cut VMCs at the factory...

 

One simple example is SPs...as everyone knows, they come with ****** split rings and hooks...and most also come with a split ring on the nose. The very first thing I do when I open a SP is remove all that crap and put on cut VMCs...and I've never noticed that the SP swims worse or catches fewer fish...

Dude  - campo tried everything.. He is telling you to try everything and learn from what you tried.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, Goldy said:

Dude  - campo tried everything.. He is telling you to try everything and learn from what you tried.. 

ummm…ok…but, Dude…I asked a question. He can respond or not. If you have a specific example of a plug swimming better or worse after removing split rings from your experience, I’d love to hear it as well. My whole point was that I don’t think most plugs (that I’ve worked with) swim worse when you remove rings and factory hooks, and replace them with cut VMCs. If Campo, or you, or anyone else disagrees, it’d be super interesting to hear about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, Goldy said:

Dude  - campo tried everything.. He is telling you to try everything and learn from what you tried.. 

I have to second this. The guy was hypercritical of EVERYTHING. He noticed EVERYTHING.  He tinkered and modified while noting outcomes.  His mind never stops.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 mins ago, Mojua said:

ummm…ok…but, Dude…I asked a question. He can respond or not. If you have a specific example of a plug swimming better or worse after removing split rings from your experience, I’d love to hear it as well. My whole point was that I don’t think most plugs (that I’ve worked with) swim worse when you remove rings and factory hooks, and replace them with cut VMCs. If Campo, or you, or anyone else disagrees, it’d be super interesting to hear about it. 

We all would, but then we would not be putting our time in!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, afterhours said:

Cut VMC belly hooks and split rings on tail hooks. I believe that the split ring helps the tailhook tuck in close to the body for better casting.

This is interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mojua said:

ummm…ok…but, Dude…I asked a question. He can respond or not. If you have a specific example of a plug swimming better or worse after removing split rings from your experience, I’d love to hear it as well. My whole point was that I don’t think most plugs (that I’ve worked with) swim worse when you remove rings and factory hooks, and replace them with cut VMCs. If Campo, or you, or anyone else disagrees, it’d be super interesting to hear about it. 

Unfort, I don't fish Sp's, so I can't comment, and I fish the plugs the way the builders design them.  I don't have time to test every single nuance with cut hooks vs splits with hooks.. I got a family and kid and I just enjoy going out.. Do I think it will make that big of a difference of me catching vs not catching, doubt it.. But u never know.  This is a hobby for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mojua said:

.Your post either implies that removing the split ring and changing the hooks negatively impacts the swimming motion of the plug (which in my experience is false) , OR, that doing so improves the swimming motion, in which case the manufacturers should just remove the split rings and add cut VMCs at the factory...

 

That is exactly what I am trying to say. Every change changes everything. You decide whether the change is a plus or minus. They will not be the same and you can see for yourself in seconds

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut em, ring em, assist hook em, do whatever you like.  All I know is what works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any tips on HOW to cut VMC hooks effectively? Small bolt cutters for the cut and then just pliers to close em up once on the plug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.