iwantmypie

Cut Hooks on Plugs

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed a lot of older plugs in my collection (yard sales, etc) come with cut hooks instead of hooks with splits. Can’t say I’ve bought a newer plug (whether mass produced or small batch) that has come with cut hooks. Always splits. 

I started messing around with them and must say I’m pleased with the results. So far I’ve only tried it on plugs with swivel belly hangers. Less bulk allows me to bump up the hooks at least one size (Super Strike Darters with 4/0 and Little Necks with 3/0…yes please!) without having the hooks foul on top of the plug.

I’ve also only tried this with VMC 9626 which are very easy to work with. Haven’t tried a Mustad 9430 yet. Just touching up the cuts with a dab of the Sally Hansen clear coat I use when I tie dressed siwash hooks.

Anyone else using cut hooks on their plugs?

Yes

SS Dater, w/ 4/0 on the belly try a 3/0 on the tail

Lou T

It’s my trademark!  Cut trebles and attached directly to the swivels, and an open eye siwash closed on the rear.  I have even removed split rings and rear trebles on new plugs to set them up this way.  I keep the split rings on SPs, bombers, YoZuris etc., but through wired plugs with swivels get cut or open eye hooks. 

Just now, extreme fisherman said:

Just make sure you cut them correctly 

Yep! Clean and close where the eye meets the shank. Slightly open to attach, carefully close’em up.

31 mins ago, D1fishr said:

It’s my trademark!  Cut trebles and attached directly to the swivels, and an open eye siwash closed on the rear.  I have even removed split rings and rear trebles on new plugs to set them up this way.  I keep the split rings on SPs, bombers, YoZuris etc., but through wired plugs with swivels get cut or open eye hooks. 

Exactly the route I’m thinking. Don’t see why this wouldn’t be the go to for any of my plugs with swivel belly hangers. In all honestly, the process doesn’t take any longer than using split rings, probably even takes less time. I’ve never had a need to change hooks in the field. If a hook gets bent out or damaged while fishing I just put it away and deal with it when I get home. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Apples and Oranges for me. IMO weight and gap is more important.  Split rings and hooks have come a long way. On some plugs in some scenarios I like a cut hook, for others a heavier fancy short shank with a split ring.

Edited by Bait Tailer

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rig the SAME exact plug both with and without split rings and notice the difference in action. The answer becomes more apparent when you stop thinking of split rings primarily as a means of connecting two things together and realize every change changes everything

Edited by SC

From early on l put cut VMCs on all the plugs l make (Pikies). In the beginning l sent some plugs to Bill Wetzal to try out. He said he liked the action, but the first thing he did was take the split rings off and put on cut 4/0 VMCs. I have cut my VMCs ever since. I cut 4/0 and 5/0 and put them on spro swivels. I have never heard of a cut VMC failing, can’t say the same for split rings. After reading what SC said about how split rings change the action of metal lips. It just confirms that cut hooks is the better way to go for me!!

How you cut and put on your VMCs is important, you want to open the cut just enough to slide the swivel in, and let it spring back. I made a jig to do this and have cut thousands of hooks. Thankfully l have a friend that does it for me now!

5 hours ago, Big Water said:

From early on l put cut VMCs on all the plugs l make (Pikies). In the beginning l sent some plugs to Bill Wetzal to try out. He said he liked the action, but the first thing he did was take the split rings off and put on cut 4/0 VMCs. I have cut my VMCs ever since. I cut 4/0 and 5/0 and put them on spro swivels. I have never heard of a cut VMC failing, can’t say the same for split rings. After reading what SC said about how split rings change the action of metal lips. It just confirms that cut hooks is the better way to go for me!!

How you cut and put on your VMCs is important, you want to open the cut just enough to slide the swivel in, and let it spring back. I made a jig to do this and have cut thousands of hooks. Thankfully l have a friend that does it for me now!

What i find amazing is, with all the people that cut hooks for plugs, they should really come cut from VMC. 

Gary - you ever try mustard 9430 on your plugs?  

I've been using cut hooks for over 50 years.  Started out cutting the old cadmium plated Mustad's but have used VMC & the newer Mustads for a long time & had no issues.  I think what SC & Big Water have to say about the question of cut hooks is 100% accurate.  Mike