Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Santiago II

media outrage over Nancy Pelosi's communion ban

Rate this topic

228 posts in this topic

Whoopi Goldberg spoke out in support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she was denied communion by an archbishop in San Francisco Goldberg spoke out in support of Nancy Pelosi on Monday, after the House Speaker was barred from receiving communion in San Francisco. Above, a shot of Goldberg at an event in 2019.

Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone announced on Friday that Pelosi, one of the leading Democratic lawmakers in the U.S., would be barred from receiving Holy Communion within the Archdiocese of San Francisco, which he heads, due to her vocal support of abortion rights. The archbishop claimed that his decision was "purely pastoral, not political."

Goldberg spoke out against the decision on ABC's The View on Monday. The actor and comedian insisted that such a decision was not Cordileone's to make and said that it went against the spirit of Holy Communion itself.

Whoopi: "The archbishop of San Francisco is calling for speaker Nancy Pelosi to be denied receiving Communion because of her pro-choice stance ... this is not your job, dude. That is not up to you to make that decision." pic.******/TCSe0t6XLY

— Washington Free Beacon (@FreeBeacon) May 23, 2022

"This is not your job, dude! You can't — that is not up to you to make that decision," Goldberg said. "You know, what is the saying? It's kind of amazing. But, you know, what is the point of communion, right? It's for sinners. It's for sinners. It's the reward of saints, but the bread of sinners. How dare you?"

Pelosi has held a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1987, with her constituency always based predominantly in San Francisco. Her current constituency, California's 12th District, is located entirely within the overwhelmingly Democratic city.

I think it's a dangerous practice by the Catholic church if we see some politicians denied and others receive it.  based more on political affiliation than alleged transgressions.

If the Pope had any balls he'd excommunicate her personally and publicy.

But that religion didn't even have the balls to excommunicate Hitler, so I won't hold my breath.

5 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

If the Pope had any balls he'd excommunicate her personally and publicy.

But that religion didn't even have the balls to excommunicate Hitler, so I won't hold my breath.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi pushed back on a San Francisco archbishop's decision to ban her from receiving Holy Communion over her pro-abortion stance, Tuesday, and questioned the Catholic Church's response to followers who support the death penalty. 

Fox News contributor and theologian Jonathan Morris defended the decision on "America's Newsroom,"  accusing the speaker of "politicizing" her faith as she continues abortion advocacy. 

"What Nancy Pelosi is doing is… politicizing her faith by saying, actually, I'm right, and I'm going to go against my faith and say that it's actually with my faith," Morris told co-hosts Dana Perino and Martha MacCallum. "That's, I think, terrible leadership on the part of Nancy Pelosi."

"I would also say that Pope Francis has a responsibility here," he continued. "The bishops are being left in a very hard position. He needs to say if canon law gives responsibility to the bishops to be guardian of the sacraments, well, then they should be encouraged to do that, or else canon law should be changed."

I don't think Hitler was a practicing Catholic as an adult, so not much to do there.

7 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I think it's a dangerous practice by the Catholic church if we see some politicians denied and others receive it.  based more on political affiliation than alleged transgressions.

More based on what diocese you're in at the moment.

Nancy's transgressions are egregious.

" Nancy Pelosi receives COMMUNION at Catholic church in Georgetown after Archbishop of San Francisco banned her over her 'extreme' abortion views"

Who cares, does the Church think that by denying communion they'll change a politician's stance? This is certainly wouldn't be the first time the Catholic Church was on the wrong side of history. That said it's their club, so they can make their own rules, but in the end they have been way behind the curve on moral issues for a long time. 

48 mins ago, Santiago II said:

Whoopi Goldberg spoke out in support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she was denied communion by an archbishop in San Francisco Goldberg spoke out in support of Nancy Pelosi on Monday, after the House Speaker was barred from receiving communion in San Francisco. Above, a shot of Goldberg at an event in 2019.

Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone announced on Friday that Pelosi, one of the leading Democratic lawmakers in the U.S., would be barred from receiving Holy Communion within the Archdiocese of San Francisco, which he heads, due to her vocal support of abortion rights. The archbishop claimed that his decision was "purely pastoral, not political."

Goldberg spoke out against the decision on ABC's The View on Monday. The actor and comedian insisted that such a decision was not Cordileone's to make and said that it went against the spirit of Holy Communion itself.

Whoopi: "The archbishop of San Francisco is calling for speaker Nancy Pelosi to be denied receiving Communion because of her pro-choice stance ... this is not your job, dude. That is not up to you to make that decision." pic.******/TCSe0t6XLY

— Washington Free Beacon (@FreeBeacon) May 23, 2022

"This is not your job, dude! You can't — that is not up to you to make that decision," Goldberg said. "You know, what is the saying? It's kind of amazing. But, you know, what is the point of communion, right? It's for sinners. It's for sinners. It's the reward of saints, but the bread of sinners. How dare you?"

Pelosi has held a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1987, with her constituency always based predominantly in San Francisco. Her current constituency, California's 12th District, is located entirely within the overwhelmingly Democratic city.

If the Catholic Church was serious, it would ban communion of anyone who worked on the Sabbath.

47 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

Aren’t they struggling for members as it is? 

Cardinal Law should have been banished to hell, instead he was assigned archpriest of the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore,

Save me the sanctimonious crap.  

Whoopie Goldberg?  Who the hell is she to tell an Arch Bishop what the rules of his Archdiocese?  She's not even Catholic is she?  

4 mins ago, charsea said:

No

Catholic News Agency

Washington D.C., Mar 29, 2021 / 15:51 pm

The percentage of Catholics who say they are a “member” of a church has dropped by nearly 20 points since the year 2000, according to a new report by Gallup released on Monday.

Among respondents who said they were Catholic, only 58% actually said they were a member of a church. This figure is down 18 points from the 76% of Catholics who said they were a member of the Church, in a previous Gallup survey from 1998-2000.

In the past decade, Catholics saw a twice-as-steep decline in members than did Protestants, which saw a 9% decline in professed members of churches from 73% to 64%.