Your best lure for pike?

Skf01

Hello.

As said in the title, what is your best lure for pike?

The best of the best?

For me, it's by far the Rapala Max rap long range minnow 12cm all colors (depending on the color of the water and the cloud cover)

One of mine has more than 80 pikes to his credit.

However, there is a snag...

In French public fresh waters, this lure is prohibited, because of its three hooks.

It is an old useless law, never repealed. It seems that the three hooks destroy the mouth of the pikes.

On the other hand, this lure is allowed in the sea. So we can blow the mouths off of sea bass.

Fishing with this lure exposes the offending fisherman to a fine of up to 400 US dollars and depending on how lunatic the police officer or fishery warden is, all of your fishing equipment on you may be confiscated.

Only the police can claim to search your vehicle and if you carry several prohibited lures, your vehicle can also be confiscated.

The main prohibited lures are those with three hooks or stainless steel hooks.

Personally, I fish with these types of lures in private freshwater.

2 hours ago, Skf01 said:

Hello.

As said in the title, what is your best lure for pike?

The best of the best?

For me, it's by far the Rapala Max rap long range minnow 12cm all colors (depending on the color of the water and the cloud cover)

One of mine has more than 80 pikes to his credit.

However, there is a snag...

In French public fresh waters, this lure is prohibited, because of its three hooks.

It is an old useless law, never repealed. It seems that the three hooks destroy the mouth of the pikes.

On the other hand, this lure is allowed in the sea. So we can blow the mouths off of sea bass.

Fishing with this lure exposes the offending fisherman to a fine of up to 400 US dollars and depending on how lunatic the police officer or fishery warden is, all of your fishing equipment on you may be confiscated.

Only the police can claim to search your vehicle and if you carry several prohibited lures, your vehicle can also be confiscated.

The main prohibited lures are those with three hooks or stainless steel hooks.

Personally, I fish with these types of lures in private freshwater.

Maybe remove the tail hook and replace with a flag or blade?

3 hours ago, Skf01 said:

Rapala Max rap long range minnow 12cm

50 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Maybe remove the tail hook and replace with a flag or blade?

I fish those here in the salt. I replace the hooks and rings, and also remove the center hook, good to go! They are great lures and cast a mile…

498585D1-0260-465A-A5F5-92E9FC8F0E6D.jpeg

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

I've always been successful using a Flatfish.

6 hours ago, Skf01 said:

6 hours ago, Skf01 said:

French F&G know how it's done. Break the law, and pay the price.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that braided line is illegal in France. Is this accurate?

If I remove the center hook, I find that the lure swims much worse.

That said, it also depends on the non-flood flow of the three rivers where I fish the most (35 m³/s, 110 m³/s and 63 m³/s)

I get quite good results by replacing the treble hooks by three single hooks of the same weight.

In some places the braid is indeed forbidden.

It is among other things accused of cutting the fish...

The braid is more and more forbidden for carp fishing.

Concerning the lures, I also have very good results with a Sebile flatt shad 124mm.

I've caught them on Rapala and Yozuri minnows, floating and shallow divers, 3 to 6 inches long.  Large Jitterbugs, and lures with either a propeller in front, or with props in front and back.

Generally, I fly fish for them, usually with streamers, 4 to 7 inches long, with white being the top producer.  I've had them take flies that I was using for bass.   Like my flies all the hooks on my lures are barbless or debarbed.

I had tested a nice trick with streamers for pike or salmon bought at low price on Amazon.

I had a bunch of old Meeps, Vibrax, big size 5 or bigger spinners.

I had removed the hook and replaced it with a streamer.

It's very interesting for pike in winter, only it pulls a lot on the line.

I will see what it will give with a wobbling spoon.

An old lure that works very well, but does not last long.

Take a large lead head and insert strips of rabbit skin of different colors on the hook shank.

Hold it together with a strong copper wire or stainless steel wire.

A point of strong glue

Put on a triple thief to finish off the homemade lure.

Concerning the home-made lures, I have some that work well, but I don't use them for fear of losing them.

These are an army of Devon and various spinners or wobblers.

These lures have been made with bullets, cases, cartridges or various shells.

The oldest ones date from the first world war and are therefore quite rare.

Their place is perhaps in a museum?

On 5/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, Skf01 said:

Sounds like the French are more enlightened - a big pike with 3 trebles down its gullet sounds like a nightmare to deal with. 

As you said, the 3 inline single hooks work well...Companies should make that a default for pike lures.

A large Johnson Silver Minnow with or without a trailer sounds right up your alley if multiple hooks are a problem.

Eppinger also makes some decent single-hook weedless spoons. 

My three top lures for Pike in northern Wisconsin are:

Yo Zuri Floating Crystal Minnow 

Red & White Eppinger Dardevil

Arbogast Jitterbug