ianroddie

Any recommendations on cape cod canal plugging rod and reel

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Was looking at a 11’ plugging rod for the canal paired with possibly a 8k Saragossa. I have a 9’ carbon surf that I like would the 11’ 1-5 oz be a good plugging rod? Any suggestions appreciated thanks

Not to be mean but I would do a search on here. This topic has been discussed a lot with pages and pages of replies. 

I will stay away from brands on this one but I would listen to the guys who go big and heavy on the reel and long on the stick. 11 would be my choice but it wouldn’t be a 1-5. No way. Something like a 3-6 or 3-8 would be more like it. Get your arsenal together and go from there. Jigs up to 5 oz and big plugs need a heavy action rod. 

An 11 foot rod rated 1-5 can work for plugging, but it’s not what you want for jigging. The 3-8 rating will handle heavy plugs and jigs. You would probably be happier carrying two setups though, that way you can cover different applications. I don’t have the carbon surf, so I can’t comment on that specific rod, but it sounds like it could work for pencil popping. Hope this helps!

Iv used that 11ft carbon surf. It would work well at the canal for plugs in the 2.5-3.5oz range it definitely favors the higher end of the 1-5. Has a pretty good action for pencil poppers. 

They also make a carbon surf canal model. I thinks it’s a 3-8. 

4 hours ago, ecks said:

Not to be mean but I would do a search on here. This topic has been discussed a lot with pages and pages of replies. 

Ya I did I just saw a lot of comments regarding the tfo rods and others and didn’t see anything on the carbon surf so just wanted to see if anyone had feedback on the carbon surf

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Biggest question is

Your price range? 

Probably around 300 but I have heard some good things about the odm genesis and that is around 400

1 min ago, ianroddie said:

Probably around 300 but I have heard some good things about the odm genesis and that is around 400

I have an odm jigster and I like it for the canal.