MEF

Custom Rod Builder in Monmouth County Area

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a reputable builder in the Monmouth County, NJ area? I have a 10 foot nex1 blank I need to get built. I called a certain shop in Ocean County and they have a wait time of 6-8 months so looking for a place with a faster turnaround time if possible. Thanks!

Any builder that has a 6 to 8 month waiting period has it for a reason.  if you find someone without that long a wait, you may want to ask yourself why...

1 hour ago, John B said:

Any builder that has a 6 to 8 month waiting period has it for a reason.  if you find someone without that long a wait, you may want to ask yourself why...

What is your point?

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, LowEnd said:

What is your point?

He's saying that top tier rob builders. People doing this day in and day out and doing it at the top of their game and have rod building down to a science generally have this lead time and then some.   The time frame is this far out because the quality is above board and true works of art - they can prove it too. You are not getting a 'custom' piece of sh*t.  So you are ordering today for a rod for next season. 

Some food for thought -    I engaged two local builders that was recommended and received praise  -  in person I found the wraps, eye placement and alignment, fit, finish of the rods to be subpar and honestly a joke.  I wouldn't have paid $100 for these rods let alone a grand they were asking.   

You get what you pay for and for the kind of money a real custom surf rod costs it had dam well be perfect and to my specifics desires exactly or you are just wasting your money.  I'd rather wait to get what I want from someone I trust will do the job then have something thrown together and not worthy to be fished at all. 

Edited by pressphotog

6 hours ago, pressphotog said:

He's saying that top tier rob builders. People doing this day in and day out and doing it at the top of their game and have rod building down to a science generally have this lead time and then some.   The time frame is this far out because the quality is above board and true works of art - they can prove it too. You are not getting a 'custom' piece of sh*t.  So you are ordering today for a rod for next season. 

Some food for thought -    I engaged two local builders that was recommended and received praise  -  in person I found the wraps, eye placement and alignment, fit, finish of the rods to be subpar and honestly a joke.  I wouldn't have paid $100 for these rods let alone a grand they were asking.   

You get what you pay for and for the kind of money a real custom surf rod costs it had dam well be perfect and to my specifics desires exactly or you are just wasting your money.  I'd rather wait to get what I want from someone I trust will do the job then have something thrown together and not worthy to be fished at all. 

If you know so much about rod building then why not build it your self?

Food for thought,

Did they meet with you to go over your physical make up and casting style?

Did you give them your reel so the can build the rod to your reel and line?

Did they test cast it to tweek it and make sure it works?

Did it occur to you that a builder that busy may be working off a spec sheet and skip all of thee above? Yes, they may have done that work once upon a time but every custom is different and now they are super busy.

So getting what you pay for or “custom built” is subjective. Other wise you are getting a custom general purpose rod.

I have no lead time for a custom build. I got tired of impatient and picky customers who have no clue how much goes into it. That’s the real joke.

I do builds now only for people I know one at a time. I don’t even charge to do it most of the time.

15 hours ago, LowEnd said:

If you know so much about rod building then why not build it your self?

Food for thought,

Did they meet with you to go over your physical make up and casting style?

Did you give them your reel so the can build the rod to your reel and line?

Did they test cast it to tweek it and make sure it works?

Did it occur to you that a builder that busy may be working off a spec sheet and skip all of thee above? Yes, they may have done that work once upon a time but every custom is different and now they are super busy.

So getting what you pay for or “custom built” is subjective. Other wise you are getting a custom general purpose rod.

I have no lead time for a custom build. I got tired of impatient and picky customers who have no clue how much goes into it. That’s the real joke.

I do builds now only for people I know one at a time. I don’t even charge to do it most of the time.

I have no interest in making my own. Making plugs and bucktail is where I spend my fishing time off the water.   Good for you and how you do your one offs it's how it should be done.   I waited for my "custom" plugging rod built for me, to my specs, with the intended reel, with the kinds of plugs and lures I used.  Everything was planned and designed around "me" and the way I fish.   I'm happy as can be and have no regrets at all in who built the rod or how long it took.  To each their own.     All the best to you.