ecks

Costa Sunglasses Deals

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

WOOT has many varieties of Costa sunglasses on sale this morn.  Look under Sports & Outdoors. 

Edited by ecks

1 hour ago, ecks said:

WOOT has many varieties of Costa sunglasses on sale this morn.  Look under Sports & Outdoors. 

I read the reviews of reeftons i put in my cart.   lots of 1-3 stars who all seemed to think they are inferior build and lens quality to their real costas.  

Buyer beware.

12 mins ago, 55555s said:

I read the reviews of reeftons i put in my cart.   lots of 1-3 stars who all seemed to think they are inferior build and lens quality to their real costas.  

Buyer beware.

I buy stuff from Woot all of the time. I’ve never received any knockoff products. They are owned by Amazon. 

1 min ago, ecks said:

I buy stuff from Woot all of the time. I’ve never received any knockoff products. They are owned by Amazon. 

I didnt buy them, i just spent 5 minutes reading a lot of reviews insinuating they were at best seconds and in many cases inferior quality to Costas the buyers were previously familiar with. 

3 hours ago, 55555s said:

I didnt buy them, i just spent 5 minutes reading a lot of reviews insinuating they were at best seconds and in many cases inferior quality to Costas the buyers were previously familiar with. 

It’s definitely a concern from all but the most trusted retailers.

The knockoffs are tough to distinguish via generic web pics which may be copped from the original manufacturer version anyway. 

Said this before but if there’s a well made knockoff with glass lenses, I’d potentially be willing to pay $40 bucks to test try. 

But polycarbonate & other plastic/acrylic type lenses are generally cheap & basically disposable in all but a few outlier cases like Smith. No sense paying more than $20 or maybe $30 (with today’s inflation) for PC lenses you can get at an outdoor table somewhere for $5-15. 

Costa’s make the xl frames which are a must for my big ass head. I can’t even wear anything but fitted hats or they look like a yarmulke. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

Hopefully Costa is still using real glass. Like on the 580's. I got a pair of Peahi's with readers 2.50 and to my amazement they use a plastic lens. To be fair it hasn't scratched yet its good quality but its not a glass lens and its noisy and cheap like a plastic lens loose in a frame.

So I just bought these. I have several pairs of Costas including one pair of blue mirror gray 580g lenses. Possibly the best glasses I own. The Tuna Alley are designed as the ultimate glare reducer on the back of the lens due to reflections off your face. I have looked at these frames for some time but could not pull the trigger on another pair of $200+ glasses. 

Well, thanks to this post, I will receive these in a few days. Perfect for my July trip river fishing in Montana where the copper lens color works best. 

As for the potential of these being knockoffs, I am not too worried about that, I will be able to tell right away. Glass is glass and no polycarb lens can be mistaken for glass. Visual acuity is very difficult to knock off in glass.  

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Costa does not distribute factory seconds as that would damage the brand. And with their logo molded into the frames, tough to push those out the backdoor to some liquidator without their being identified as bad goods. 

Thanks for the post. 

628cdcdf1540d_ScreenShot2022-05-24at9_23_12AM.png.79a77abe88d7defdd40430a472054625.png

Tuna Alley PRO

12 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Hopefully Costa is still using real glass. Like on the 580's. I got a pair of Peahi's with readers 2.50 and to my amazement they use a plastic lens. To be fair it hasn't scratched yet its good quality but its not a glass lens and its noisy and cheap like a plastic lens loose in a frame.

Costa makes both the G and P series which are well defined on sites. 

24 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

Costa’s make the xl frames which are a must for my big ass head. I can’t even wear anything but fitted hats or they look like a yarmulke. 

You having a big ass fat head - whodathunkit? 

BTW, the Tuna Alleys being offered on Woot are NOT the PRO version, which is relatively new by Costa. They are the older version without the new venting, lanyard holes, enhanced nose bridge, etc. That works for me, but wanted to point that out that you should not be comparing $97 with $280 MSRP

These are total counterfeit $15 sunglasses. In most cases they don't even really look like the original there will be slight or even significant differences.

You also have no way to return them when you find out that they're not the real McCoy and once you file your complaint via email (they don't have a phone number) someone will eventually ask you to send pictures of what you received and then they'll say due to shipping problems how about we give you a slight partial refund and you keep the glasses. If you refuse that solution then your complaint will be dead in the water and if you take it you'll eventually get a slight credit to your account. 

How do I know this? I know a number of people who purchased these and not in one single case did the glasses even look like the official Costas or the picture that they illegally put on their website to trick you with.

These are counterfeit glasses in all ways. If you're ever in Chinatown people are selling them on the street corners and you can get them for 10 bucks.

The counterfeiters are definitely saving a ton of money with the bogus lenses and the lower grade cheaper frames so they're able to offer them as imposters.

When you go on their website you're looking at the real Costa picture and write up but what you going to get in the mail is not the same thing. Your counterfeit glasses, when they arrive we'll even have the copycat authentication symbol on the right lens to make them appear to be authentic. You'll get a little piece of microfiber and you'll get a little pouch that the sunglasses come in and if you compare those accoutrements to the real Costa accoutrements they'll be almost identical -- very hard to tell apart.

Like I said what the difference will be is that the glasses will not actually look like what you thought you ordered. In some cases the frames will be different shapes entirely or they will be the wrong color and clearly not real Costas. They may also have slightly different color schemes. One friend I know got a pair of Triple tails and they had little fluorescent green symbols on the sides. He thought he was receiving blacked out frames and they were blacked out except for the fluorescent green accents. When compared to the real tripletail of the glasses were significantly lighter and chintzier feeling in the hand. The lenses were clearly different as well and you can tell when you put them on and compare them to the real deal.

Scam companies like this operate through Facebook ads usually. Facebook is littered with knockoff counterfeit merchandise and there seems to be no way for them to police it. Many of my friends who bought the knockoff glasses wound up gifting them as Christmas presents to family members who don't fish and don't really know anything about Costa. 

Regarding the real Costa company, their customer service is pretty awful. They have a warranty that allows you to get a one-time replacement and that process involves sending photos and filling out online forms and waiting inordinate amounts of time and God forbid if you have to actually talk to anyone because you'll be on hold for half the day -- literally. They often have very depleted inventory and so replacing a pair of sunglasses with the exact same model becomes extremely challenging if not impossible.. You'll be issued a replacement code and once you pick out your replacement and they're in stock, which will be a miracle if you find something in stock that works for you, then you simply fill out the form and put in the code and it's a pretty neat and tidy process from there on out but like I said, the process can be very frustrating to get them to honor their warranty.

Edited by CaryGreene

Woot is not a facebook knockoff company.  The fact is I buy stuff from Woot all of the time. I just bought a mini fridge and a memory foam mattress. I bought Penn Reels from them. Sometimes they sell “open box” items or “refurbished” laptops and kindles. But they clearly state that in item description. If the item is labeled as new it will be unopened and new. They are owned by Amazon and you would always have recourse if you think you were ripped off.