Bogey

Sea Robins, is there anything they don't like

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

i hadn't fished in a week so I went to a fav spot, my first 7 casts with a 4 in swim bait produced 5 sea robins so I switched to a spook thinking they wouldn't attack it. 

First cast I was about to pick it up when I looked down and saw 2 robins following in attack mode. 

I went home

When a school moves in there is very little they won't hit. Best bet to filter them out is big topwater stuff, and even that won't always stop them. Jigs and swimmers they'll attack with abandon. They do tend to thin out after dark. 

52 mins ago, Bogey said:

i hadn't fished in a week so I went to a fav spot, my first 7 casts with a 4 in swim bait produced 5 sea robins so I switched to a spook thinking they wouldn't attack it. 

First cast I was about to pick it up when I looked down and saw 2 robins following in attack mode. 

I went home

Good to eat if you know how to clean them.

Yeah I got nothing against them as a food fish. They can be a PITA when you're targeting bass. Often the solution once a school shows up is to either move somewhere else, or give up and catch a few for the table. :)

4 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Hate to or have to?

I imagine that they prefer not to be fried.

During the summer months when bass are rare in my waters, I enjoy robins, as they are aggressive and put up a great fight on light tackle. Even when I’m targeting other species, I’d rather have a robin hit over swarms of dogfish any day.

1 min ago, Antek said:

During the summer months when bass are rare in my waters, I enjoy robins, as they are aggressive and put up a great fight on light tackle. Even when I’m targeting other species, I’d rather have a robin hit over swarms of dogfish any day.

I'd have to agree with this.

11 mins ago, Antek said:

Sorry, I was referring to best way to cook them. My friend recently tried to grill them And said it wasn't too good

On 5/23/2022 at 2:36 PM, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Sorry, I was referring to best way to cook them. My friend recently tried to grill them And said it wasn't too good

I think i type this robin recipe almost every year..

Scrub down with bristle brush, gut, fillet it, debone with knife cuts.

Meat can be seasoned and pan seared, fried, or make into fish balls/patties (search for an asian style fish ball recipe).  

Pan fry head and carcass with garlic cloves, then boil fried carcass and cloves into pot. Add cold water, add some soup veggies. Boil until milky white, add some tofu last and serve. Good soup.

On 5/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, Bogey said:

I went home

I’ve had them annihilate topwater lures meant for bluefish, especially big sea robins. Once they are in an area, they usually bite non-stop but they can put up a decent fight on light tackle and aren’t terrible on the dinner table, so there’s that.