brianf27

Getting a fishfinder/chartplotter for my Predator

7 posts in this topic

I had a Lowrance Hook2 that worked great until its recent death.  I did not get the maps and never used it for navigation.  Lowrance has lakes installed on some models.  How would I get coastal waters?  Any recommendations appreciated.  Basspro has a Hook2 7 tripleshot with inland lakes installed at a modest discount...

There are so many choices. I am still running 3 helix 7 si. For me it's a dependable unit. Not sure if its the best because I have been sticking with the same unit for 6 years now. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Navionics+.

To me Lowrance cartography has never been any good. I would never pay for it so if it is free, you can always try it and if you are not happy, add Navionics+ later.

Good luck!

Edited by NHAngler

Having at least basic maps if not Navionics on your FF has so many advantages for a fisherman... if you troll you can get back to location where you found fish following your tracks ...if you tog or porgy fishing you can memorize you fishing hole spots ...if in fog you can find your way back...I understand that you can have all that on your phone as I have it too but it is a nuisance to keep taking your phone out to see where you are etc etc while on the kayak

Hook Reveal 7 SI is a lot of functionality for your money ($500). I like Garmin but it is more expensive if you want mapping. I have the Echomap UHD 65 - but its chirp/downscan/bluecharts, no sidescan. So if I were in the market I'd would probably go Lowrance (although I think Garmin are more reliable and have better service).

I used Lowrance for many years (HDI series and hook2). They were good and got the job done. Now I run a Helix 9 DSI and won't go back. The clarity is unreal. The mapping is hugely important and I run the Lowrance charts and Navionics gold chip in my unit. Charts are important to discovering new spots and catching more fish. 

If you are looking to save money, Try the helix 5 or 7 and spend some money on a chart chip.